Wednesday, July 30, 2014

November 30, 1963 The Usual Turkey Dinner, The Bad Dream, The Memorial Service and The Christmas Spirit


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I don't know where the time goes.  Although it has been a long weekend we really haven't done much.  The office didn't open yesterday so B has had a little extra free time.


We went to church Thanksgiving morning and then had the usual turkey dinner all by ourselves.  It was a quiet, sad Thanksgiving but I think the whole country really stopped to give thanks and ask God's blessings this year.



Last week was like a bad dream but I'm beginning to feel now that is was all real.  That may sound strange but I still feel strange when President Johnson's face appears on T.V.  I miss the young, lively face of Kennedy.



The University had a memorial service on Monday when other services were being held.  It was a lovely, religious affair and about 6000 students & townspeople came.  We spent the rest of the day in front of T.V.  I didn't even get lunch.  Ann fixed it and brought it to the basement for us.  There have been so many things said about the Kennedys in the past and none of us could agree with everything they did but the family showed it was a great family the past few days.   I think everyone will have to admire Mrs. Kennedy's courage and even little John behaved like a little soldier.


People are trying to get the Christmas spirit going now but there is still a sobering atmosphere around.  It has snowed most of the day but the ground still isn't covered solid.  It does make one begin to think of Christmas, though.

Ann and a friend have to play their flutes in the school Christmas program and decided to wear red velvet jumpers.  So we went to Bloomington yesterday for the pattern & material.  Now, I'll have to get busy on that.  I have one more sleeve to make for Bob's sweater.  He couldn't have picked a harder pattern but it will be pretty.  He's anxious for me to finish it but doesn't realize how difficult it is.

I had a nice letter from Charlotte this week.  She sounds busy but happy.

Ann has an organ lesson in a little while so I'd better get a few things done before we have to go.

Is Daddy's hip better now or does he still have to use a cane some?  I hope both of you are fat and sassy and stay that way all winter."

                                  Lots of love,

                                      Bonnie

The flag at half staff, ISNU, Nov. 22, 1963



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!