Tuesday, October 15, 2013

August 9, 1958 The Sweet Corn is Wonderful, The Children are Restless, The Stores are Showing Fall Clothes and Sorensens are Coming for Supper

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We have had a whole day without a drop of rain.  Things really need to dry out.  There has been enough sun that we've gone swimming almost every day.  I'm getting a pretty good tan but got too big a dose of sun yesterday.  It won't blister but it may peel so I won't go swimming today.

We bought our first tomatoes this week--got a 10 lb. basket for 98¢.  They sure are good but are still much too high in the grocery store.  Very few people have them in gardens--just not enough sun.  The sweet corn is wonderful now and is cheap.

The children are restless since school is out and it is not so easy to entertain them with B at work now.  I don't get much done but take them to the pool anyway.  We all went to the county fair Tuesday night.  Bob's best friend had a calf to show so we had to go.  It was the first time we have gone but enjoyed it.  The kids don't care about going to the State Fair this year so we aren't going.  We took them to a funny movie last night.  That is a rare treat for all of us.

I'm glad Nobel is better and that they have a new car.  I must write to Beulah soon.

Graduation was yesterday so lots of people have left town on vacations.  We are beginning to fill up our calendar with fall activities already.


 I want to get some sewing done but can't get started.  Stores are showing fall clothes but they are wool and I don't see how anyone can wear them very soon.  I'd like a dark print dress to start school affairs in.  I'll have to make it, though.

Sorensens are coming for supper Tuesday night but I haven't decided what I'll fix.  Woody will soon be going on his trip.

I'd better do a little sweeping so bye for now."

                             Lots of love,

                                    Bonnie

NOTE:  I love the phrase, "we've tried to anticipate your costume needs"... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!