Wednesday, September 19, 2012

March 22, 1952 Parsley and Petunias, Eating and Sleeping, Plan It and Build It


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It's pouring rain tonight but yesterday was so nice we were outside in sweaters.  I planted some parsley seed around a flower bed at the back door and have petunia seed planted in flower pots in the basement.  It has been so long since I did anything like that they may not even come up.  I bought the seed that Consumers recommended so maybe they will.  Our lawn is terrible--has so many bare spots.  B and Watty keep planning to do something about it but never do.


Bobby loved the circus.  It was after 11:00 when they came home but he wouldn't leave until it was all over.

Ann is still eating a lot and slept all night long last night without waking.  I got up this morning with a crick in my neck.  I told B I wasn't used to sleeping all night and must have stayed in one position all night.  You should hear Ann talk.  She is saying phrases now and picks up a lot of things from David.  He talks real well.  If you do something she likes she says, "Do it again, Mommy" and if I ask, "Who wants an egg?" or anything like that she raises one hand way up and says, "I do".  Her hair is getting so long and she has a fit every time I wash it or comb it.

I had a letter from Bessie this week thanking me for the Christmas presents.  We had Roger's & Marjorie's names so she had expected them to write.

You had better not have the radio cabinet built until B finds out just how big the chassis will be.  It would be terrible to have the cabinet a half inch too narrow.  You might go ahead and plan it then as soon as B makes up his mind on size you could go ahead with the building.

We are planning to go to Peoria tomorrow so I'd better get to bed."

                         Lots of love,

                                  Bonnie

NOTE:  While I'm sure B loved taking Bobby to the circus, on March 22, 1952 he would also have loved seeing a live telecast from Carnegie Hall of Toscanini conducting the NBC orchestra in Beethoven's Symphony No. 5.  B had an extensive record collection of many great conductors and he loved music.  This particular performance took place 3 days after Toscanini's 85th birthday, and would be his last live telecast because of extreme heat and lighting quality issues in Carnegie Hall.  To see and hear some of the program:  http://conductingmasterclass.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/toscanini-telecast-march-22-1952-from-carnegie-hall-new-york-city/

Time magazine, April 7, 1952

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!