Wednesday, September 12, 2012

February 2, 1952 An Endless Circle, "From Here to Eternity", The Old Chest and Roll Call Suggestions

"Sat. morning--Ann seems lots better this morning.  Just a little upset."
         
Dear Mother & Daddy,                                                                               Friday
                                                                                                         
"It is almost lunch time but I'll start this anyway.  Bobby is on the porch with Lynn and Ann is asleep.  She never sleeps in the morning but got up a little after 5:00 this morning and seems a little feverish.  I guess she is taking a cold.  Bobby and I have had it and it hasn't been bad but I just can't keep her from getting them when Bobby gets one.  She has been doing better with sleeping but if she is sick it will probably throw her off again.  Seems like an endless circle.

Image courtesy of www.ebaycom
I can't see why Beulah and Nobel have so much tough luck.  She sent Bob the cutest shirt and sox.  He put them right on and liked them so much.  I must write to Beulah soon.  I've spent all my time reading this past week.  I've read "From Here to Eternity" and if you get a chance you should read it even though it will shock you to death.  It is a powerful book--the story of the regular army before Pearl Harbor.

Yes, we hear from our friends in Pakistan.  They are having wonderful experiences.

I wish Daddy wouldn't stain the old chest.  Would the side panels look so bad even if they weren't the birdseye?  I think it would be nicer just to wax the whole thing with clear paste wax over and over until it glistened without stain or varnish.  Of course, if nail holes had to be filled that wouldn't work.

As for roll call suggestions--how about favorite dessert recipes (or any kind), ways of fixing eggs or potatoes or macaroni, or a brief sketch of a good book?"

                Lots of love,

                      Bonnie

NOTE:  The day I was preparing this blog entry,  I received a letter in the mail from B's niece, Gini.  The letter included a program from her son's retirement ceremony which had taken place in June of this year.   Rick retired from West Point (Professor and Head, Department of English and Philosophy) 40 years from the day he entered as a cadet.  Note the program below.  I thought it was a timely coincidence. 




An excerpt of a treasured letter sent by Rick to my daughter while he was serving in the Persian Gulf (1991)
Congratulations, Rick!

NOTE:  For reviews and a synopsis of From Here to Eternityhttp://www.amazon.com/From-Here-Eternity-James-Jones/dp/0385333641    For a review of the 1953 movie:  http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9905E5DE153EE53BBC4E53DFBE668388649EDE

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your retirement from a fine career, Rick. Thanks for your service. We're very proud of you.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!