Sunday, July 22, 2012

March 18 and 27, 1950 Rosemary Went to Work, Chiffon Cake, Brunch Coats, Bad Guinea Hens, Buttonholers and BBQ Sauce

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It's a beautiful, sunny day but it stays cold and is so muddy.  We've had snow and rain both this week.  Bobby and I have been walking to Toni's or to the store most every day in spite of the weather.  He does love to get out.

Rosemary went to work at Wards today so she won't be here to help me in the day time anymore.  She will sit at night, though and work some then so that will help.  I'm going to see if I can't do that work by myself but when it gets ahead of me I'll find another girl.  I'd like to break another one in though, so I'd have a sitter for occasional afternoons and to help with extra work when I have a party, but I haven't decided yet.

We went to a concert Thurs. night and to a party at school last night.  The club which B sponsors is having it's annual literary contest with another university club tonight, but I'm not going.  B will have to go.  I wore my black dress Thurs. night and it just didn't look right so we went downtown yesterday and got me a navy that doesn't look so maternity-like.  I can wear it after the baby comes and it looks real nice now.  It has real short sleeves and will do all summer.  I'm still trying to decide on a pattern for the polka dot material.



We haven't any idea when school will close or how they will make up the time lost but think it will end at the usual time in June (don't know the date) but we'll have no vacations till then.

When and if you ever get time would you send me your chiffon cake recipe that you like.  I don't like the Betty Crocker ones but I think you cut this one out of the paper.

Did you ever eat guinea hen?  I am going to roast one for tomorrow and we're anxious to see how it will be.  Meals seem to get so monotonous we thought it might be a little different.

We are all fine and hope you are."

                 Lots of love,

                         B, Bonnie & Bobby



NOTE: I haven't been able to locate the program for Horowitz's performance, but B had several of his record albums and loved to hear him play.  Images and text above are from the ISNU yearbook, The Index, 1950.


March 27, 1950

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"B and Bobby are outside playing.  It is cold but the sun shines once in awhile.  We have been having a few nice days.

Thanks for the recipe.  I thought I'd get it copied to send back today but didn't.  I went to a party Thurs. night and we both went to one last night so I haven't done much but run around this week.  We are having a party of 13 tomorrow night to see our colored pictures and so I've been planning that.  After the pictures we'll have a buffet lunch.  I have to go to the Doctor this afternoon which will waste the day but Rosemary will clean the house in the morning while I make cupcakes and sandwiches.









She likes her job at Wards and is making $25. a week plus a commission which I think is wonderful.  She plans to be married in the fall so I'll at least have her to babysit until I get another girl started.  I have one coming to see me next week.  I thought I'd wait but I want someone I can get in the daytime too, so I'm going to see how this girl does.  I didn't get to go to Education Wives Luncheon because I had no sitter for 1:00 so Bobby and I went to visit for a few minutes after he woke up.

We weren't very pleased with the guinea.  It was so tender it just melted but was so strong flavored.  We ate some for dinner anyway and I barbequed the rest which helped some.

Tell Beulah that I did get a brunch coat out of the 3 sacks and it is nice.  I didn't think I could.  I have enough to make one more and that will be all I'll need.  I want to find a pattern for my polka dot today.  I never did get the buttonholes all made on my smock.  We have tried two buttonholers on my machine and they won't work.  The machine seems fine but Sears is going to check it again for they think there is some little something wrong since the buttonholer won't work.

My red shoes still haven't come.  We have ordered an ice cream freezer.  Doesn't that sound crazy now but we all like it so much and someday we'll get the attachment for my mixer to turn it so we won't have to crank.  It isn't available now.

I had a nice letter from Bessie this week.

B plans to teach this summer but is supposed to be off next year.  We hope he can teach then too but if enrollment is down too much it will be his turn to take a summer off.  Course, he'll probably teach somewhere else that summer.  We want to come home in June if there is time before summer school opens and if the Dr. will let me.

I must stop and fix lunch.  It's always a race to make my appointment at 1:00."

              Lots of love,

                  B, Bonnie & Bobby

NOTE:  I don't know which slides B planned to show at the party, but probably ones from New England.  The one above is one of the earliest slides in his collection, though taken at SMSU in Springfield, MO. and dated 1940.

Guinea Hen  (Joy of Cooking, 1946)

Clean hen and lard it (lay several thin strips of salt pork over it).  Fill it with onion, bread or other dressing.  Close the opening.  Truss the bird.  Place it in a pan breast side down.  Roast it uncovered in a moderate oven 350 for 1 hour.  Roast it breast side up for 1 hour longer or until tender.  Baste it every half hour.  Thicken the drippings with flour.  
  
Bonnie's BBQ Sauce

Combine in a heavy pan, 2 cans chopped tomatoes and juice, 1/4 c. molasses, 1/4 c. honey, 1 T brown sugar, 2 T tomato paste, 1 tsp. powdered garlic, 1 bay leaf, 1 T ground cumin, 1 T chili powder, 1/2 tsp. red pepper, 5 T Wright's liquid smoke and 3 c. water.  Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer till mixture is thick.  Add 1-1/3 c. red wine vinegar.  Simmer 1-1/2 hrs. longer, covered and stirring occasionally.  Discard bay leaf and add salt to taste.  Refrigerate covered for 24 hrs. before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!