Saturday, July 21, 2012

March 2 and 11, 1950 A Real Nice Birthday, A Waste of Time, A Terrible Worry, Blue Suede Shoes and The Machine Went Haywire

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I didn't get your letter yesterday as I usually do but it will probably come this morning.  Your card came Monday.  I got a lot of birthday cards and had a real nice birthday.  I made a white layer cake with lemon filling and we had broiled T-bones which we all just love.  Mabel sent me some washable house slippers, Rosalynn a linen hankie and B's folks some earrings.  B gave me crystal and perfume.  I was so pleased with it.  Now I have 6 goblets and 2 sherberts in Fostoria Holly.  I have enough money to buy 4 more pieces and think I'll get 2 of each for I'll probably need the 8 goblets more than I would 6 of each.

I haven't sewed a stitch on my brunch coat but made a smock instead.  It is tiny black and white checked sharkskin and I put a white collar on it.  It is real pretty and neat and I'll wear it for dress-up with the skirt of that black maternity dress we made that summer.  It makes a nice combination.  The old dress cleaned real pretty and I got a bright scarf to liven it up a bit.  So far, I can still wear a very few of my clothes but it won't be long before they won't zip so I want to get a few things made.  B and I are going to learn to use my button-holer as soon as I get buttons for my smock and we used the food chopper on my mixer for the first time last night--sure is fine.

It looks like school will begin next week sometime--probably Wednesday.  This has been such a waste of time for us.  I do wish we could have come home because Bobby is talking so much now I would like all of you to hear him and see how he's grown.  We have an appointment for his yearly check-up on Wed.  He is 36" tall and we're anxious to see how much he weighs.

I forgot to tell you he went to the barber shop for a haircut.  He was a little angel about it and laughed when the barber used the clippers.  The barber was very good, though--so slow and friendly and careful.  Then he gave Bobby a stick of candy and that helped even more.

I was going to go have mine cut so Evelyn could give me a perm. and Bobby cried to go again.  I never did find the woman's barber in so Toni is going to cut it next week.


I found me some low heeled blue shoes downtown.  They are suede and real pretty.  I also found some material on sale and got enough for a housecoat to take to the hospital.  It is white satin with big pastel flowers on it and will make a beautiful housecoat.

Hope you are both fine as we are.

                 Lots of love,

                       B, Bonnie & Bobby

(over)

I was making out a grocery list yesterday and asked Bobby what we should buy at the store.  His answer was, "Bobby an ice cream cone."

Your letter came and I'm so sorry Daddy's sick.  Hope he's O.K. again by now.  There is some flu but not much here."

NOTE:  Truman responded to reporters' questions about the coal situation in his news conference of March 2, 1950:  http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=13717

For the favorite birthday cake recipe, use this link:  http://annbkennedy.blogspot.com/2012/02/may-6-1944-still-sewing-b-chooses-topic.html

Bonnie's favorite perfume was  My Sin, as seen above in the ad from the New Yorker, 1950.

March 5, 1950

March 11, 1950

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"My appointment at the Dr's. is at 1:00 so I'll try to write a short letter before lunch.  I am fine and am anxious to see what I weigh.

Bobby was fine at the Dr's. on Wed.  He is 36" tall and weighs 29-1/2 lbs.  We got him some shoes while downtown and he's so proud of them.

School began on Wed. but Rosemary is having to quit.  She doesn't have money or clothes and is hunting a job.  She has been wearing her roommates clothes and it has worried me terribly since she told me.  Eve, Toni and I are finding some clothes for her and think we can outfit her till she makes money to buy her some new ones.  She will sit with Bobby at night but probably won't be able to help me in the daytime.  That is all right, though, if she can just find a job.  I really don't need extra help but it's nice to have.

I had to stop so now I'm back from the Dr.  Everything is fine but I have to go every two weeks now.  It should be easier to check my weight by going more often.  I've gained 3 lbs. in 3 weeks--too much pie.


The material came today and I'm thrilled to get it.  It is the exact thing I've been wanting but had found only one piece which was 1.98 a yd. and that's too much so was still looking.  You couldn't have pleased me more with anything.  I'm doing pretty well with my clothes.  Toni lent me a suit, a jumper and her good maternity dress.  I've been wearing the suit.  The jumper will do for afternoons and I'll save the dress for special dress-up since it was her best.

I haven't done any sewing.  We started making button holes in my smock and the machine went haywire so I called Sears.  They replaced a part in the shuttle and didn't charge for it.  The man said my machine needed to be used and would last as long as I live.  The button-holer is sure nice.

Little David is gaining fast and is so sweet.  Toni trimmed my hair and it sure looks better.  I didn't have to have a permanent.

I've intended to write to Beulah all week, but just didn't get it done.

I must stop so we can mail this.  I have misplaced your letter so if you asked any questions, you'll have to ask again.  Hope you are all fine."

          Lots of love,

               B, Bonnie & Bobby

NOTE:  Truman's brief news conference on March 9, 1950 covered a wide range of issues, peppered with classic Truman humor, from federal aid to education to statehood for Alaska and Hawaii to the pending civil rights bill and Sen. McCarthy's "charges".  For the complete text:  http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=13724

1 comment:

  1. It's especially charming, knowing today as we do of Elvis' beloved classic, that she found herself not just a pair of blue shoes, but of blue suede ones. I wonder if she had a hard time keeping them in good shape. I have a pair of pale pink suede shoes and am always very mindful when I wear them out, as I don't want to scuff their beautiful colour too much (granted some marks can be lifted, but still).

    Thank you very much for your wonderfully nice comment on my vintage outfit post yesterday, dear Ann. I love each season and those "in between" days when they flip over, too.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!