Monday, July 23, 2012

April 1, 8 and 15, 1950 Skimmed Milk and Ice Cream, The Circus, The Shoes Don't Fit but the Buttonholer Works and Upstairs Downstairs



Dear Mother, Daddy and Grandma,                                                    Friday Night

"Maybe I can get this letter mailed on time if I write tonight.  I carried my letter last Sat. all over Bloomington and still had it in my pocket when I got home so I guess it was late.  The doctor said I was fine and was pleased at my weight--123-1/2.  I drink skimmed milk and am careful about what I eat but so far I haven't had to diet like I did before and sure hope I don't.

B and Bobby drove to Peoria while I was at the doctor's and they had a big time.  They brought me two real pretty pins.  I was so pleased.

Our ice-cream freezer came Sat. and we've used it twice.  Two quarts really isn't much but it freezes so fast.  We can freeze enough cubes in the refrigerator to fill it and it is so easy to use.

Our party Sun. night was a big success but we were all pretty tired when it was over.  Rosemary came and cleaned the whole place and then cleaned up the kitchen after dinner so I got a good rest in the afternoon before our company came.  They all enjoyed our pictures.


B and Jim have gone to the circus at school which the physical education department puts on each year.  Eve and I are going tomorrow night.  That way we don't have to get sitters.

The Index, 1950

Bobby has been kind of sickly the last three days.  Wed. evening he got so tired and sleepy at supper and then his temperature started coming up.  I called the doctor because there is a virus going around as well as the measles.  Apparently it was just a touch of cold or sore throat because he's almost like himself again but we're watching him and keeping him inside for a few more days.

B is going to Decatur tomorrow to an all-day state meeting of the Association of University Professors so it will be a long day.  He has been asked to speak at a meeting of some kind in Chicago this month and will have to be gone a couple days and nights.  We don't know yet what the program will be but he's looking forward to the trip--all expenses paid.

My red shoes came but didn't fit.  It was disappointing for they were real pretty.  I may look in Bloomington for some.  I finally got my smock finished and wore it.  Everyone thought it real cute.  The Sears man had to adjust something on the head of my machine before my buttonholer would work but it is O.K. now.

I have my polka dot dress cut and basted but haven't sewed any yet.  I'm embroidering on a bed jacket too so am slow at getting much done on either.

I really didn't intend for Beulah to tell you that I wanted you to come in Aug. or when the Baby comes for I was going to wait and see how you were then.  I really would like very, very much for you to come and stay with Bobby.  If you could come a few days before I go to the hospital and then be here with him while I'm gone the 5 to 7 days it would help us all so much.  I hope to have a girl to do the cleaning and ironing for I know you couldn't do it all.  I have one in mind now but she has other jobs now so may work for me after school is out in June.  I did get another girl to take Rosemary's place, though, but she won't be in Normal this summer. 

Don't worry about the stairs.  They don't seem to bother me in the least and I never even think about it.  They don't even make me puff, but I don't go down very often.  When it gets nice enough to be outside we'll go down more."

                 Lots of love,

                        B, Bonnie & Bobby

 French Vanilla Ice-Cream

Mix together 4 or 5 beaten egg yolks, 1-1/4 c. sugar, 1 dash of salt and 5 c. light cream.  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and coats the spoon.  Cool completely in refrigerator.  Add 2-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract.  Freeze according to freezer directions.  To make fruit ice-cream, add crushed, ripe peeled peaches or crushed strawberries.  

Caramel Ice Cream (New Hood Cookbook, 1936)

Place 1/2 c sugar in heavy skillet and melt over low heat, stirring constantly until pale yellow in color.  Add 1/2 c water and stir until dissolved.  Pour this slowly over 2 well beaten egg yolks.  Mix 1/4 c sugar with 3 T flour and stir in 1-1/2 c milk slowly.  Cook over low flame 5 minutes or until thick and smooth stirring constantly.  Add to egg mixture; then stir in 1 tsp vanilla and 1 c heavy cream, whipped.  Cool.  Freeze in ice and salt.  




April 8, 1950

Dear Mother, Daddy & Grandma,

"I just got home from the Dr. and am fine.  I didn't ask about coming home for he might change his mind before June.  I'll wait till June comes and then ask.

This is all the paper there is so it will be a short letter.  I bought a navy straw hat, but it isn't very springlike--so cold and windy.  My polka dot dress is almost done.  It is going to be pretty but I was disappointed at first.  The pattern had no collar and it didn't look good at all so I cut a collar and it made a world of difference.

Our ninth anniversary is Thurs.  We bought a new toaster and it sure is fine.  It is the cheapest Proctor which is rated best in Consumers.  We look everything up in that before we buy and have saved a lot of money that way.

Bobby likes our new sitter fine.  He calls her Rosemary or Rose Marge.  Her name is Marjorie.  She brought him an Easter basket and he was so pleased.

Bobby seems fine again--no measles.  Just a touch of sore throat.  I have had a cold.  No, I don't eat everything I want.  I can fill up but I don't eat potatoes, jelly, fried things and such high calorie foods.  I am not having the hard time holding down my weight like I did before.

Bobby and I will stay alone while B goes to Chicago.  Course, Dorlands will be downstairs so we really won't be alone.

I wanted to make a chiffon cake but haven't yet.  I did copy the recipe in my cookbook.  Yes, I have the Journal but the back is off and I'm not quite done with it.  I'll send it when I finish.  I must stop to get this mailed.  It is getting late.

Hope you are all three fine."

                 Lots of love,

                        B, Bonnie & Bobby





April 15, 1950

Dear Mother, Daddy and Grandma,

"The pretty card came yesterday.  We had such a nice anniversary but didn't do anything special except have an extra nice dinner.  At first, we thought we'd eat out but decided to stay home and I'm sure we enjoyed it more.  We had broiled T-bones and I made a chiffon cake from your recipe.  It was perfectly delicious and just filled the pan more than full.  I was so thrilled and B thought it was so good and you know he always thought the chiffons were eggy.  It sure was easy to make so I'm going to make more of them.

B leaves on the 2:55 train tomorrow afternoon for Chicago and will be home about 7:00 Tuesday evening.  It is going to be a nice trip for him and Bobby and I will get along fine but be lonesome, I know.  His part of the conferences will be to listen to everything that goes on and make a summarizing speech about the whole thing at the end.  It sounds terribly hard to me but he did that here in Normal last fall and had lots of complements on his speech.

I have some wash crepe for a smock to make while he's gone.  It has a white ground with grey, black & red in a splashy print.  I can wear it with my black skirt and I plan to get a grey one to make on of these days.  My polka dot is ready to press and I'm real pleased with it.  It looks very pretty and neat.  It stays so cold that I've had a lot of good out of Toni's dresses since they are winter things.  My read shoes came from Sears and I think they fit all right.  My feet get harder to fit all the time.

No, I haven't done anything for the baby.  Poor little thing will wear hand-me-downs.  Evelyn has given me a lot of things to use and I have Bobby's things so there isn't much I need.  I want to buy some little dresses and a few pretty things for it and I need to knit some boots but haven't made but one pair and they aren't finished.  I've spent all my time sewing for myself.  I still have lots of time, though.


Beulah sent Bobby some of Jerry's pants and some Easter eggs but I haven't had time to write to her yet.  I'm so sorry Charlotte is sick again.  I do wish they would take her to a real doctor.  if it is Rheumatic fever they'd better not fool around if they don't want a crippled child.  It sounds like the virus infection that has been all over Normal--practically every child here had it.  The doctors gave soda pop, weak sweetened tea, lollypops & applesauce for it.  You probably read the McCalls article on it--it takes the sugar out of the body.  I'll try to send the Journal soon--am all through with it.

I'm glad you liked the shakers.  I did too.

We can't find any names that we'd really like for the baby.  It is such a hard thing to decide and is so important.  I want to have a boy's name and a girl's name ready, though, when it comes.  If you have any ideas of names let me know.

We have to go to the grocery store so I must stop for now.  I hope you all three are fine."

                      Lots of love,

                             B, Bonnie & Bobby

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!