Sunday, July 29, 2012

July 1 and 8, 1950 The Sun Shines Bright, The Lecture Was Fine, Korea, China, and A Watermelon Feast


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We have been having wonderfully cool weather.  The sun shines bright but the temperature is just right.  Our colds are practically gone but we all had such sore throats and runny noses.  It didn't make me feel as bad as it used to but was uncomfortable.

B has Monday and Tuesday (the 4th) off so it will be a nice, long week-end.  Classes will be held on Saturday to make up the Monday.  We don't plan to do anything special.  Toni is going to give me a permanent and that will take part of the time.  My hair is pretty long and won't stay rolled up anymore so I want it short and curled before the baby comes.  It will be so much less trouble.

B's lecture was fine, I guess.  Everyone said so anyway and he had a good crowd.  He really got the publicity.  There was so much in the papers about it that it got funny.  I couldn't take Bobby so I couldn't go.

Why don't they know where Charlotte will go to school?  I hope she doesn't have to go back to Montreal.

The 62 yr. old cornholders, still in service!
Our wild berries are about gone.  The last time we were hunting them they were pretty small so I guess they are gone now.  We can get Texas corn on the cob now at a reasonable price so are having that.  Bobby likes it as much as he did last year but doesn't like to hold the ear with his hands.  He always wants us to hold it for him so I'm going to get some corn holders.  He'll get his hands black as tar outside and doesn't mind but just hates to get jelly or butter or anything like that on his hands at the table.

B doesn't say much about the Korean situation--just listens and reads.

Do you think Daddy might bring you in August?  You didn't even comment on my suggestion and I wonder if you even thought about it.  I wish he could come for even a day or two.

The Dorlands are away for a week so we have the house to ourselves.  It is so quiet for we're used to the slamming doors.

I hope you both are fine."

             Lots of love,

                   B, Bonnie & Bobby

NOTES:  What follows is a CIA document regarding the Korean situation.  If interested, the link provides extensive intelligence information from the time.  https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/books-and-monographs/assessing-the-soviet-threat-the-early-cold-war-years/docs.html





July 8, 1950

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"B has gone to school to a watermelon feast for students and faculty so it's pretty quiet around here.  Bobby is asleep and I'm going to bed soon.  I try to go to bed by 10:00 so I don't get over-tired and that makes the evening so short.  We have to get up early since B has a 7:30 class.

I really had a surprise this week.  You know I placed an order for my china in Bloomington almost 2 years ago and then was told they couldn't get it.  So I ordered them again when we went to Chicago last fall, from Marshall Fields.  I hadn't heard a thing from them so I wrote a letter to them.  Luckily I didn't mail it that morning for I got a card in the afternoon mail that my dishes were at the Bloomington store.  We went after them and the price about knocked me over--$48.00 for 4 place settings.  I was really thrilled to get them but didn't dream they would be so much.  Anyway, I now have a full set for 12.

I don't know why we didn't save all the clippings about B's lecture.  There were so many but we just didn't think twice about any of them. 

Toni gave me a permanent Tuesday and it is real nice.  My hair was beginning to look awful and wouldn't stay rolled up at all.  She cut it one day and curled it the next while the kids had their naps.  Then we all took a ride.

Thanks a lot for the money.  That is the baby's first present and it will go in its bank.  Actually, I don't need anything for the baby with all of Bobby's left-overs and the things Evelyn has given me that were her baby's things.  I have bought only a few things and have just a few more to buy--like rubber pants, powder, etc.  Bobby is beginning to talk about the baby now and I hope and pray that he won't be jealous.  The train would probably be the best way for you to come and it might be easier if you did stay over at Buddy's one night.  We'll try to check on the train connections soon and see what you can get.

I now go to the Dr. every Sat.  If he should tell me that I could go into the hospital before labor actually begins and he will start it, I may do that.  Then I could call you and go at my leisure after you were here for a day or two.  Of course, he may not want to do that for me but he told Toni that her baby was ready and she could have it anytime she wanted to.  It would be convenient that way so don't be frightened if I should call you some time.  I don't think I'll be in the hospital but 5 days and they get one up after 24 hrs. so I shouldn't be weak and wobbly.  At least, I wasn't last time after being in bed three days.  This Dr. is so very different from Dr. January but is so much older and I feel that he is a much better doctor.

I must stop and go to bed.  Hope you both are fine."

             Lots of love,

                     B, Bonnie & Bobby

2 comments:

  1. I really think it's awesome (and perhaps getting somewhat rare these days) that your family held on to so many things throughout the decades. I love that you still have the corn holders after all these years.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica. Thanks for writing! I enjoy using many things from my childhood--kitchen gadgets, baking pans, flatware, dishes, etc. As long as they still work, no need to use anything else!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!