Monday, July 30, 2012

July 15, 22 and 29, 1950 Awkward and Enormous, A Little Sick, A Lot of Pep, A Connecticut Summer and A Very Short Letter


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We have been having some wonderful cool weather, too.  I guess we got it when it left you and now it is warming up here again.  Really we haven't had very hot weather yet.

I haven't had much pep this week so haven't done anything hardly.  I feel so awkward and enormous but everyone says I'm small and Dr. Ball says the baby is only average.  The only thing I don't have ready is the name.  We can't settle it to suit us but maybe we'll soon find one.  The new girl is coming to clean now and I don't like her work nearly as well as Rosemary or Marge.  I will be glad when Marge gets back to school.  You probably won't like the way she mops the floors either but just don't worry about it.  I'm glad to have her and Bobby seems to like her.  We haven't had a sitter since Marge left because we didn't want to upset Bobby again.  We just refuse invitations and stay at home.

Bobby has been a little sick since yesterday but it doesn't seem to be anything serious--just a stomach upset but we're being careful and watching pretty closely anyway.

We have checked train connections too and discovered that you would have to stay over at Buddy's.  There is a pretty good choice of trains from St. Louis on to Bloomington, though, so surely Buddy can get you to one of them.  You decide which one you'll take so we will know.  The check is for your round-trip ticket.  We called about it and you can save quite a little if you buy the round-trip.  If our time table is right you can get off at Webster and not have to go to Tower Grove.

I hope Grandma is better and that you won't have to go to Aunt Cliffie's.  You simply must not be tired when you come to stay with Bobby.

It sounds early for blackberries but they sound so good.  I wish I had a big bowl of them with cream and sugar.

Toni really did a good job on my hair.  I'm very pleased with it and it is so soft.  I haven't washed it yet but want to the first of the week.

B has to teach tomorrow to make up for the Monday they took before the Fourth.  It won't seem like Sat.  I am going to wash in the morning and have my appointment for 2:30 after he gets home.

We have three new catalogs so have been having fun.

Hope you both are fine."

                 Lots of love,

                       B, Bonnie & Bobby


July 22, 1950

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I'm glad you are having the same kind of nice weather that we are having.  It is wonderfully cool but we are tired of the rain.  Today was sunny and nice and I washed.  This has been a Conn. summer but we all keep wondering when it will really get hot.

I had a card from Beulah this week and thought I'd write to her tonight but Jim and Eve have been here and it really is bedtime so I won't get it done, now. 

I'm sorry you didn't use the check or that we didn't buy the ticket.  We forgot it when we got the time tables and then I didn't know when we'd get down again so thought we'd send the check.  I couldn't quite understand what you meant about the bus.  Maybe you could ride the bus to St. Louis and take the train from there.  I think the entire trip by bus would be terribly hard on you.  I wish it could be worked out so you could come straight thru though.

I have felt so good and had so much pep this week that I've really gotten things done--got my bathroom and kitchen floors both scrubbed and waxed.  Now they can just be wiped up with plain water and maybe stay fairly clean.  I try to keep things in order and food cooked in case I suddenly go to the hospital.

Dr. Ball told me last Sat. that he didn't think I would have to wait till Aug. 2.  I am anxious to see him tomorrow and if he gives me any definite information I will let you know.

Bobby is fine as can be and talks about you coming.  We have told him you will come on the train and that you'll read to him so you may have your tongue read off by the time you go home.

Bruce (Aunt Ione's boy) was here a few minutes yesterday.  He plans to come here to school next year so was finding a room and a job.  He stopped to ask us up for Sunday dinner but it is too far to ride and besides it would be a bit risky at this stage.

We have been wanting to go on a picnic with Wheelers but were rained out this week and now Carol (the 5 yr. old) is sick with a sore throat so we may not get to go at all.

We are anxious for you to come Mother,  and wish Daddy could come too.  It has been so long since we saw any of you.  It is going to be nice to have you here."

               Lots of love,

                        B, Bonnie & Bobby




July 29, 1950

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Well, I'm still waiting and I guess you are as tired of it as I am.  Maybe tomorrow he will tell me something.

There just isn't any news.  B keeps plenty busy at school and now there are only two more weeks which will probably be busy ones.  He went to a men's picnic at school last night and there are a few things every week that he has to go to.  Bobby and I go to Wheeler's once in awhile and spend the rest of the time in the yard across the alley.  Toni and Lynn are at her Dad's and we miss them.

We took our supper to the lake tonight--just the three of us and enjoyed it.  Hope you both are fine.

           Lots of love,

              B, Bonnie & Bobby

Saturday

I just got home from the Dr. and he says I am ready to go for the baby anytime but he wants me to wait till labor starts by itself.  It can be any day now or maybe a week.  He couldn't really tell me.  Why don't you come on about mid-week or anytime you want to if I don't call you before?  We'd like to have you and I'd get to visit a little with you before I go.  You can't visit me in the hospital--just husbands.  You do whatever is easiest for you.  Write us a card so we'll know and I'll call if I need you before we hear."

              Love,

                  Bonnie

NOTE:  News of the Korean War was not making big headlines yet.  That, however, began to change when soldiers were addressed by General Walton Walker.  

accounts
Following a visit from United Nations commander MacArthur, General Walton Walker makes speeches, the so-called "Stand or Die Order," encouraging American troops to hold their defensive positions, even as the North Korean appearance on the western flank threatens Pusan, logistical lifeline to Japan. MacArthur next visits Formosa for an inspection trip. Controversy ensues as the extent of U.S. commitment in Asia is debated.

"General [Douglas] MacArthur was over here two days ago; he is thoroughly conversant with the situation. He knows where we are and what we have to fight with. He knows our needs and where the enemy is hitting the hardest. General MacArthur is doing everything possible to send reinforcements. A Marine unit and two regiments are expected in the next few days to reinforce us. Additional units are being sent over as quickly as possible. We are fighting a battle against time. There will be no more retreating, withdrawal, or readjustment of the lines or any other term you choose. There is no line behind us to which we can retreat. Every unit must counterattack to keep the enemy in a state of confusion and off balance. There will be no Dunkirk, there will be no Bataan. A retreat to Pusan would be one of the greatest butcheries in history. We must fight until the end. Capture by these people is worse than death itself. We will fight as a team. If some of us must die, we will die fighting together. Any man who gives ground may be responsible for the death of thousands of his comrades.
I want you to put this out to all the men in the Division. I want everybody to understand we are going to hold this line. We are going to win."
Lieutenant General Walton Walker
Words to 25th Division staff, July 29, 1950



Source and for additional information:  http://www.trumanlibrary.org/whistlestop/study_collections/korea/large/korea729_82.htm.bak

1 comment:

  1. That has to be the most charming New Yorker cover I've ever seen. Having moved many times throughout my life, including as youngster, I can certainly relate to the scene.

    Thank you very much for your immensely nice blog comments today, dear Ann. I loved hearing about your sweet piggie, Penelope.


    Wishing you a wonderful week,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!