Tuesday, July 24, 2012

April 22 and 29, 1950 The Greatest Story Ever Told, Building Up Some Tools, Taking the Starch Out, Fried Chicken and Pink Ice

Dear Mother & Daddy,
                                                                       
"It is close to bedtime and I didn't have your letter today as usual but Saturdays are always so busy when I have to go to the Dr.  B has a conference with a student in the morning, too.  Now that school is getting near the end he has several conferences a week with graduate students who plan to graduate this spring.  That takes so much extra time.

Bobby and I managed fine while B was in Chicago.  Bobby was puzzled about his going the first day but didn't cry and began to look forward to his coming home on the train.  It was a big event when we went to the station to meet B.  I think he remembered being there when you went home, Mother.  B enjoyed his trip but didn't have time to do anything extra like shop or see a show.  He did bring Bobby some records and me some perfume.  Bobby and I spent most of our time at Wheelers and ate there twice.

I went to the Faculty Women's dinner last night and we both were invited to a student dinner Saturday night but we couldn't get a sitter so can't go.  I wouldn't leave Bobby with anyone but Rosemary or Marge and they were both busy.  We are going to a tea on Sunday but will leave Bobby at Wheelers and then stay with their kids while they go to the tea.

I just finished making the buttonholes in my new smock.  My attachment works fine now and sure beats making buttonholes by hand.

I've been reading, "The Greatest Story Ever Told" and sure have enjoyed it.  It is the story of Jesus.

There just isn't anything to write so I guess I'll go to bed."

         Lots of love,

              B, Bonnie & Bobby

NOTE:   The Greatest Story Ever Told began as a radio program in 1947.  It was written and produced by Henry Denker.  In 1949, the book was written by Fulton Oursler.  To hear any one of original radio episodes, use the link:  http://www.myoldradio.com/old-radio-episodes/greatest-story-ever-told-a-blade-from-damascus-ep-86/1    


April 29, 1950

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Bobby has been asleep a long time and B is working (or playing) on what he calls an amplifier--something for the radio that he's building.  I have been sewing on my bed jacket and it won't take much longer to finish it.  I want to get it done and out of the way since I've worked on it so long.  There has been a lot of work on it with the embroidery but it is going to be real nice.  It's pale blue crepe with pink flowers embroidered on it.

We haven't done much this week.  B has to work a lot at school since so much work is being turned in by students hoping to graduate in the spring.  We went to a tea on Sunday and then Monday was College Day for high school students over the state.  Seniors who are planning to go to college spend the day visiting and being entertained.  B's cousin (Aunt Ione's son) was here and came to the house a few minutes.  That was B's birthday too so we had an extra good dinner with a big angel food.   Bobby gets so excited over candles and packages.  It is lots of fun to watch him.  I bought B some shoes and other clothes besides a push drill.  He is gradually building up some tools and buys one every once in a while.  They sure come in handy.

Happy Birthday, B!

I went to Education Wives Club for a little while Thurs.  Marge couldn't come till after 2:00 so I couldn't go for lunch.

I'm anxious to know how you do on the chickens.  Wish I had a fried one or two.  It seems like they have grown awfully fast but I guess it hasn't seemed that way to you.

You'd better rest a lot between now and August for Bobby can sure take the starch out of you in a hurry.  Right now he can make more messes and get into more things than I can keep straightened up.  He can climb practically to the ceiling and get anything he wants.  I feel like I am asking an awful lot for you to come and know it will be hard for you but this is one time when I really feel like I need you.  It's going to mean an awful lot to the three of us for you to be here with us and especially with Bobby while I'm gone.

You'll like your new gift book.  It is a lovely story.  The book belonged to one of Toni's friends and she let me read it.

My visits to the Dr. are all routine stuff--weight, blood pressure, measuring.  The only thing new is that he told me to put on my old corset.  I'm getting quite heavy and it will give some support to the muscles.  Will you tell Beulah to send me her girdle when she has time?  I've meant to write her all week but just didn't get it done.  She said I could have it and maybe it will be a little lighter than mine.  Mine has laces, straps and stays.  It does help me but I don't think I need one so heavy.  We had thought of Richard for a name and like William Richard quite well but don't care for Holly.  I look for names every time I read anything but can't find anything that suits me.

It is past my bedtime so I'd better stop."

                    Lots of love,

                          B, Bonnie & Bobby

Ad in Ladies Home Journal, Jan. 1950
NOTE:  For Bonnie's Missouri Fried Chicken recipes, see the post dated June 3, 1944 (March 1, 2012) in the archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!