Monday, June 25, 2012

March 7, 1949 The Bad Dressing, The Nice Birthday, The Wonderful Weather and The Church



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I'm sorry this is late but I couldn't write yesterday for I ate some dressing that made me sick.  We had baked chicken and dressing for my birthday dinner on Tuesday and then B ate some warmed over dressing Wed. evening for supper.  He got sick in the night and was sick all day Thursday.  We thought it was a virus infection of some kind for there have been some around.  I ate the rest of the dressing at supper Friday and got sick in the night and was sick all day yesterday.  We felt the same way so we're pretty sure it was the dressing.  I'm all right today only weak and my joints ache.

I had a real nice birthday.  B gave me a box of candy, a little scatter pin, some money and some earrings.  I think I"ll buy some oxfords with the money.  Thanks for the dress.  I don't know how I'll make it yet, but want to get a pretty pattern for a summer dress.  I have lots of sewing to do but can't seem to get started.  I sewed on my housecoat this week and made a blouse over.  You remember I made a yellow blouse not long ago.  It had a high, round neck with gathers in front.  The neck didn't fit and the material was too stiff for gathers so I put tucks in front in place of gathers and fitted the neck.  It looks much better.  When I get the housecoat done I'm going to make Bobby's spring coat.  I have a piece of brown tweed for it.  It's amazing how much Bobby has grown since I made the brown coat last fall.  It's hip length on him now and the sleeves are too short.  They can be let out, though, so he can still wear it.

We have had such wonderful weather this week--up in the 50s and 60s.  Conn. just had a big snowstorm.  Thank heavens, we aren't there.  Tony and I went shopping one afternoon and I looked for my shoes but didn't find them.  B was going to go with me Sat. but of course we couldn't.  I need them badly so maybe I can go to town this week.

Bobby has been so good since the tooth got through.  I wish you could see him for he is so funny and does so many things.

We have met some people here that are friends of Gladys and Bill Halter.  They are faculty people and seem real nice.

I went to church last Sunday and enjoyed it.  The University Christian Church is about 1/2 block from our house and I went there.

I'm sorry Daddy has so many "babies" to take care of so you can't come to see us.  Maybe you can come later."

            Lots of love,

                    B, Bonnie & Bobby


NOTE from Ann:  The University Christian Church became our family church and B & Bonnie were members for 50 years.  The church was recently demolished for new development in downtown Normal.  (Image courtesy of McLean Co. Museum)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!