Sunday, June 24, 2012

February 26, 1949 Cross, Cranky, Fussy, Fluffy Potato Salad, Korean Green Salad and Velvety Custard Pie

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I think Bobby is asleep so I'd better write while I have the chance.  He has been cross as a bear the last three days.  I've never seen him so cranky but an eye tooth is about ready to pop through and I guess it hurts.  He has slept fine at night but can't sleep long in the daytime and he gets so tired.  That makes things worse.  He did finally take a long nap yesterday afternoon and was real good afterwards, but he is still gritting his teeth and won't let us touch his gums.  This is the most trouble he has had so I shouldn't complain.  This will be 13 teeth and Lynn still has 7.  He is outgrowing her, too, but she will probably always be little.

With Bobby so fussy I haven't accomplished much this week.  We had our dinner party Monday night and had a real nice time.  The centerpiece is always my problem but I finally used my ivy (the one you shipped) in a white, flat pot and dark green candles.  It looked pretty.  We are having 4 more people for supper tomorrow night.  We're going to have a simpler supper so it won't be so much trouble--hamburgers, potato salad, baked beans, a green salad, pie & coffee.  Tony and I are going to have some big parties together to take care of the rest of our obligations as well as to entertain a few people that we want to ask besides the others. 

I had a letter from Grandma this morning.  Poor old thing has certainly gotten more feeble the last six months.  She doesn't write so well and tells the same thing over and over.  She realizes it, too.  I was so pleased to have it for I know it is such an effort for her to write.  She'll be 89 the 10th of March, won't she?

I haven't heard from Buddy and Bessie since January so didn't know about their new car.  I'm certainly glad for them and wish we had one too.  That will have to wait till we get settled in the fall so we see what we have to do.  Then if we don't have to buy a house maybe we can get a car before long.

Buddy & Bessie, Francis Jr., Roger & Marjorie

We haven't heard anymore about the house we want.  The people still don't know when they can move.  Tony and I went to see her the other afternoon and I really like the looks of the house.  The rooms aren't big and wouldn't take much to furnish it--course I didn't see anything but the living room and dining room.

The wives of the men in the Education dept. have started a little club.  We meet once a month for lunch in one of the homes.  We each take sandwiches and the hostess serves dessert and coffee.  After lunch we talk and sew.  I went this week and enjoyed it so much.  B put Bobby to bed and Tony took him up and kept him till I got home.  He was good as could be.

Are you going to get anything new for spring?  Why don't you get on the train and come to see us, then we can shop in Bloomington?  All the stores are advertising spring things now.

Hope you both are fine."

            Lots of love,

                  B, Bonnie & Bobby

Fluffy Potato Salad

Prepare 4-5 cups of mashed potatoes.  Cool completely and add 1/4 c. mayonnaise, 1/4 c. sour cream, 2 T prepared yellow mustard, 1/2 c. chopped celery, 3 chopped hard boiled eggs and 3 T chopped scallions.  Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.  Mix thoroughly and chill completely.  

Korean Green Salad

Wash, dry and tear spinach and any other greens you choose  to make about 6-8 cups.  Prepare the dressing:  1 T rice vinegar, 1 tsp. sesame oil, 1 T toasted sesame seeds, 1 tsp. soy sauce, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 2 green onions, thinly sliced, 1/4 tsp. red pepper and 1 tsp. sugar.  Mix and shake well.   Increase the amount of dressing if adding firmer greens vegetables such as cabbage.  Toss at the last minute and add extra toasted sesame seeds if desired.  

Velvety Custard Pie

Preheat oven to 475.  Mix thoroughly 4 beaten eggs, 1/2 c. sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. vanilla and 2-1/2 c. warmed milk.  Pour into unbaked crust and bake at 475 for 5 min.  Reduce heat to 425 and bake 20 min. or till knife comes out clean.  (Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, if desired.)  Cool completely and serve with fresh berries or chocolate sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!