Saturday, June 23, 2012

February 12, 1949 Intrigue in the Richland Post Office, A Date for Supper, A Thorough Cleaning and Time for Lunch


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Your letter was newsier than the "Mirror" this week.  Things have really been happening, haven't they?  Did you ever learn just what happened in the post office?

Bobby is sleeping but I haven't done much--made the bed, washed the dishes and added another block to my tablecloth.  I crochet every spare minute (which aren't many) for I can see the end of the tablecloth now--only 16 blocks and the edge.  I would like to finish it this winter so have been neglecting other things.  I think it's about time I finished it for I started it the first winter in Conn.

Yesterday I went to the dentist and he x-rayed and I have 3 or 4 cavities to fill so will be going for awhile.  He said my teeth were in pretty good condition and that my porcelain cap was really a good job.  He said I had some good work in my mouth and then added that there was some poor too (that is the dentist from long back).

We got along fine last Saturday with both babies.  They were so good and Bobby thought it was awfully funny for Lynn to eat supper with him.  Wattersons came home just as I was putting Bobby to bed so I didn't have to put Lynn to bed.  They brought me a big bunch of the flowers from the wedding.  It was a big affair--white satin and all.

B has gone to get his hair cut.  Seems like this has been such a busy week.  There were several meetings at school and he went to Pontiac, Ill. to talk to a group of teachers.  He was pleased with the way it went and relieved to have it over.

I have still been cleaning a little.  I finally got our bedroom cleaned from top to bottom and clean curtains up.  They won't stay clean long, though, for Bobby likes to play peek-a-boo behind them.  That's all right with me, though.


Spring clothes are being shown now--lots of suits with contrasting jackets on trimming.  I finally cut my housecoat but haven't sewed a bit on it.

I'll have to go fix lunch or Bobby will eat the whole box of crackers."

           Lots of love,

                   B, Bonnie & Bobby

NOTE from Ann:  Anyone who knew Bonnie knows that "Have a cracker!" was the standard reply to any question regarding the timing or content of a meal. 

In the news, Eleanor Roosevelt's  My Day entry summarized her visit to St. Louis to a Women's Optimist Club meeting in which she was to judge worthwhile community projects.  Bonnie would love to have seen her.  For the full text of the winning proposal:  http://www.gwu.edu/~erpapers/myday/displaydoc.cfm?_y=1949&_f=md001201


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!