Wednesday, June 27, 2012

April 9, 1949 Oats and Cinders, Fancy Entertaining and This Wonderful Day

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Tomorrow night we're having another dinner party so we've been thinking about that all week and getting ready for it.  Toni and I went shopping for groceries today so there shouldn't be too much to do tomorrow.

I finally finished the gray skirt and vest and plan to wear it tomorrow night with the yellow blouse that I had to make over.  The whole suit seems to be jinxed I had so much trouble with it but it is real pretty.  I didn't plan to make the vest but it was part of the pattern and I had enough material so I made it.

Monday night we went to school to hear John Mason Brown review some new plays and books.  He is a famous literary critic and I know you have read some of his writing.

Bobby is fine and has really been "feeling his oats".  The minute he wakes up he wants to go bye bye.  He has so much fun outside but we have to watch him constantly because he eats anything and everything.  He chews up cinders like they were popcorn.  I guess he is going to stick to one nap a day.  He rests in the crib for awhile each morning which gives me a chance to clean up and dress.  Then he sleeps his two hour in the afternoon.  We really have to do fancy entertaining sometimes while he eats lunch for he gets so sleepy but soon peps up after he eats.

I had to give up writing last night for I couldn't think of anything to say.  Your letter came this morning and I'm sorry you are so tired.  I hope you got your package.  It was such a little one but was sent with lots of love.

I had no idea Beulah was even thinking of moving again.  I am glad.  I am really ashamed that I haven't written to her.

When in June do you have Circle?  We plan to come home June 14 for four or five days.  Maybe I could help you if it is that week.  One of these days I'll price the gold band china if I'm where I can.

Well, there just isn't anything to write.  Hope you are both fine this wonderful day."

                 Lots & Lots of love,

                         B, Bonnie & Bobby

NOTES from Ann:  John Mason Brown was an American literary critic, writer for the New York Post and one of the original nine members of the New York Drama Critics Circle.  Controversial in the 30s for its disagreement with the Pulitzer board over prize winners, it is still active today.  For a thorough history:  http://www.dramacritics.org/dc_history.html

The other "Circle" was a women's club.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!