Wednesday, June 27, 2012

April 2, 1949 Such a Beautiful Day, Giggling Like Everything and The Beautiful Voice

Bonnie's Mother, Summer 1948
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Such a beautiful day but quite chilly.  We made a little trip to Minonk, Ill. this morning and enjoyed it so much.  There is a clothing factory there and we went to see what they had in coats and suits.  Neither of us found anything we wanted although there were some nice things and it was such a nice day for a ride.  B needs a spring suit and I haven't decided what I'll get new.  I'm still struggling with the skirt and jacket.  I thought the skirt was almost done till I realized it was too small.  Now I think I have it fitted all right.  And can soon finish it.  The jacket still doesn't fit.  I can hardly write for watching B and Bobby.  They are playing on the floor and are giggling like everything.

Lynn & Bobby and the safety gate!
Bobby has two more teeth and now there are only two more to go and he'll have all his baby teeth.  He is still getting up early but has been sleeping over two hours every afternoon.  I think the one long nap is better than two short ones.  I've been getting more done and it saves running up the steps a few times.

Our dinner party was nice and we've planned another one next Sat. night.  It will be in our apartment so will be more work for me than the last one.

We went to a concert at school Thurs. night.  It was a negro baritone and he had such a beautiful voice.  The house was packed and they wouldn't let him stop singing.  Finally he sang the "Crucifixion" and asked that we not applaud.  I've never been in such a quiet place in my life as that room was as he sang.  It was like church.



I have only 8 place settings of my china.  That's why I got excited when I thought I couldn't get more of it.  I didn't ask about Haviland prices but if you'll come to see us we'll go find out.  I couldn't get your salt and peppers.  They were out of them but will have them later, so I'll get them when I see them.

I hope you have a nice birthday, Mother, and Bobby sends you a big hug and kiss.

I must stop and take Bobby to bed for his nap.  He has been so good today."

                Lots & lots of love,

                       B, Bonnie & Bobby

NOTE from Ann:  To read about Todd Duncan (1903-1998), best-known for his role as Porgy in "Porgy and Bess":  http://www.nytimes.com/1998/03/02/theater/todd-duncan-95-sang-porgy-and-helped-desegregate-opera.html

And to hear him:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Panv8OJjgHk

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!