Thursday, June 28, 2012

April 16, 1949 The Fork, The Jacket, The Coat, The House and The Doughnuts

B's Mother

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Tomorrow should be a nice Easter from the way it looks now, but we have had a good sized snow and it was real cold yesterday.  We haven't made any plans for tomorrow so I don't know that it will be any different from any other day.  I hope you have a nice day.

B and Bobby have gone to the grocery store and I've been cleaning a little bit.  We have had such a nice vacation week and yet haven't done much either--mostly what we wanted to do.  For our anniversary we bought iced tea spoons and a knife, fork & spoon for Bobby.  He manages the fork pretty well.

Stepped-up, post-war production made the First Love silver readily available again.

I finally finished my jacket and meant to have it steam pressed but haven't taken it yet for it poured rain Thurs. and snowed hard all day yesterday.  Bobby's coat is almost done, too.  I'm still crocheting on the tablecloth edging.  But I want to finish it before I do any more sewing.

Our dinner party was very successful.  I think everyone enjoyed it.

We have a lead on another house.  This one belongs to the college and is rented only to college people.  It is located on a lot where they plan to put a school building one of these days so will be torn down sometime.  So it looks pretty bad for they won't do any work on those houses.  I don't know what the inside is like but the outside is dirty and needs paint.  Faculty people live there now so I guess it is livable and I know it would look better if the yard was cleaned up.  It wouldn't be anything like we now have but would be a place to live and maybe we can buy one of these days.

I guess you knew B's mother has been real sick again.  We almost came home after we got a letter from his dad but B telephoned Rosalynn and since his mother was lots better we didn't think we needed to come.

Why don't you put a white pique collar and cuffs on your gray dress?  Maybe that would help.  Or add a red bow at the neck.

We got Bobby a plush rabbit for Easter and let him have it when we bought it.  He has loved and loved it and takes it to bed with him.

I made some doughnuts last night and we had them and coffee with Wattersons about 8:00.  They were the raised kind but are heavy as lead and tough--but taste good.  It took all day for the dough to rise but they aren't light at all.

It is close to lunch time and my boys will be hungry so I'll stop for now."

              Lots of love,

                     B, Bonnie & Bobby

NOTE from Ann:   NATO was in the news in April of 1949.  For excellent information and images about its formation, use this link:  http://www.nato.int/history/index.html

For the 2 doughnut recipes previously posted, type the dates in the search box, Dec. 4, 1943 and Jan. 13, 1945.  Both are great recipes, but measure the flour very carefully to avoid a heavy result.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!