Friday, May 4, 2012

March 12, 1947 The Shock, The Upside Down House and Getting the Afghan Out of the Way

March 1947 LHJ  (image courtesy of www.etsy.com)

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Your letter gave me an awful shock but I was so relieved to have Daddy's cards.  I didn't expect Beulah to have to go so suddenly.  It's about time the doctor made up his mind and I'm so glad the operation is over.  Of course, I'd like to know all the details but don't bother about writing letters until things get settled again which will probably be a long time.

This is examination week at the college.  B didn't have one this morning so stayed home till noon.  He is getting anxious for vacation--wants to clean up the car which really needs to be done.

Thursday is Faculty Wives Club and Aggie is going to read a play to the group.  She is very interested in plays and has done some work in summer stock companies.

I went to McLeods last Friday and they left Saturday.  Her house was upside down of course and the packers were there packing dishes.  I wanted to go earlier in the week but had a stiff neck a couple of days and didn't do much of anything except complain--ha!  They still haven't sold their house.  They had one offer of $10,000. but she said they gave more than that for it so still hope to get more.

I'm sending a floor plan I tore from the New York Times.  I liked it and thought you might get some ideas from it.  We mailed the new Journal to you too--today.

I haven't added much to my tablecloth lately. I thought I'd spend most of my time on the church afghan and get it out of the way.

My ironing from last week is still waiting so I'd better get started on it.

I hope you are all getting along all right.  Don't try to do too much.  Take care of yourselves and Beulah.  Keep me posted."

               Lots of love,

                    B & Bonnie

NOTES from Ann:  A short time after Bonnie sent this letter, she got a late night phone call from her Mother, a very rare occurrence.   It was determined that she would travel by train to Missouri in order to be with her sister and help care for her children during the difficult recuperation following the operation.  The next letter posted will be dated April 8, 1947 which is the first letter written after Bonnie's return to Connecticut. 

And on March 12, 1947, the Truman Doctrine is introduced.  Truman addressed congress about the serious economic and politically volatile circumstances in Greece and Turkey, and Great Britain's inability to provide any further financial aid.  Use the link to see news footage:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmQD_W8Pcxg

For the full text:  http://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/trudoc.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!