Friday, May 4, 2012

April 8, 1947 The Train Ride Back, B Keeps House, The Dress, The Blouse and The Formal

Image courtesy of www.sovintagepatterns.com
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Happy birthday, Mother!  You'll have to wait awhile for your birthday present.  I haven't had time to look for blouse material yet, but I will.  I did find your dress pattern and gold buttons but could not find a buckle like mine.  They had one which I think would be nice for you but it was 1.25 and is about 3 inches in diameter--a beautiful buckle and not too big for you, but I wanted to ask about it first.  Unless you want the pattern right away I'll wait till I can get your blouse done and send it all together.

The train ride back was not so bad.  There was just an hour between trains in St. Louis so I called Bessie and ate a little before getting on the train.  I sat with a St. Louis woman all the way to New York.  She was good company and I enjoyed her.  When I got to N.Y. I took a cab from Penn. Station to Grand Central so I wouldn't have to wait for a train.  Then I came right on to Berlin and called the college.  B was having a class but turned it out and came right after me.  It was just like Christmas.  He had had my watch fixed with the original gold band, had a box of candy and the ice box full of food.  He's a real good house keeper.  Everything was clean and neat and my flowers were all well cared for.  It has been only a week today since I left home and I'm wondering how much Beulah has improved in that week.  I hope everything is all right and surely it is.

Are you both getting rested a bit?  You had better take things easy for awhile.  I was pretty tired when I got home and did very little last week and I know you are much more tired than I was because you had so much more of the work and worry and for so long.

Yesterday we went to church.  Services were nice and the church was filled.  In the afternoon we took a long drive.  It was such a wonderful day and so warm--75.  Today is windy and cold again but the sun is out.

When I got home we had another invitation to chaperone the Spring dance so I cut out a formal this morning.  I'll send you a scrap.  It is to be trimmed in eyelet ruffling and should be pretty.

I have an appointment to get a permanent tomorrow.  I'll be glad to get my hair cut.


Karl had changed the theater for the last of April so we're planning to go to N.Y. then.  Maybe I'll have a chance to look for your china.

The college's spring play is being given Wed. and Thurs. nights of this week.  We are to be host and hostess at a reception afterwards.  They are expecting several from the state legislature to be there.

I had a letter from Bernadine Saturday and plan to answer it one of these days.

Hope everything is going well with all of you.  Am anxious to hear from you."

          Lots of love,

                 B & Bonnie

"Send me that pinafore pattern of Charlotte's one of these days."

Image courtesy of www.vintageinvogue.com
NOTE from Ann:  Bonnie could sew anything--with or without a pattern, and with or without a machine!  When she didn't like something about a pattern, she would cut her own or adapt it to suit her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!