Thursday, May 3, 2012

March 5, 1947 The Sewing Machines, Too Lazy to Bake and The Baby Sleeps Over

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We have had another snow and now it is cold and windy.  I can hardly wait till it gets warm enough to open the windows and go outside again without shivering.

I had a real nice birthday but was too lazy to bake myself a cake.  B gave me a Presto cooker and a box of candy.  I was so pleased and we've used the cooker twice.  It certainly saves time.  Thanks a lot for the money.  I'm going to save it to buy something I really want.

B went to Sears to see about getting me a machine but their list was so long and only one model was available so we decided to wait awhile longer and maybe there will be a wider selection.  We found out that White makes their machines and they are lots cheaper so I'll probably buy mine there when I get one.

Karl has been taking some classes in New York on week-ends so Aggie took Jody and went with him last week.  They went Friday afternoon and got back about 5:00 Saturday.  The baby stayed with us and slept in her buggy.  She is 5 months old and is such a good baby.  We got along fine.  Aggie brought us tickets for a play in New York so we are planning big on a trip down.  B will have a vacation between terms and we will go then.

Aggie and I are going to a bridge party tomorrow night.  I'll work on my tablecloth.  I told the woman I did not play but she said to come anyway.

McLeods are leaving "Saturday".  As yet, they haven't sold their house.  I want to go see her again if I can at all but I don't want to stay all day and it is hard to get in for an afternoon.



Did you get your first copy of "Better Homes and Gardens"?  I got mine and it is full of pretty things.  You should get some ideas from it for your new house.

It is too much trouble to send the paper every week so just send it when there is something special in it.

We haven't had a daily paper for about two weeks.  There has been a strike but we are supposed to get one tomorrow.

Hope you are both fine.  How about sending me a sketch of your house--just a rough one?"

              Lots of love,

                      B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  Bonnie used the Presto Pressure Cooker a lot--jams,  jellies, marmalade, Swiss steak, soups, stews, applesauce, etc.  As a child, I just remember that it hissed, steamed and sounded like it could explore at any minute.  A little history from Presto follows:  "With victory in sight in 1945, the company resumed a portion of its civilian production. First to be released was a 16-quart canner, followed by a 4-quart saucepan-type Presto pressure cooker. The pent-up demand for pressure cookers was tremendous and, in an industry which included eleven other manufacturers, more Presto pressure cookers were purchased by consumers than all other brands combined."  http://www.gopresto.com/information/history.php

And about the Alexander Smith rugs:  "Alexander Smith started his carpet manufacturing plant in 1845 in West Farms, New York. An American, Halcyon Skinner, had perfected the power loom for making Royal Axminster in 1876. He and Alexander Smith combined, forming a very successful carpet company. Alexander Smith was elected to Congress in 1878, but died on the evening of election day. Sixteen hundred people were employed at his factory at the time of his death. Alexander Smith & Sons continued.  During World War I, the carpet looms were converted to make tent duck and navy blankets. In 1929, Alexander Smith & Sons was the largest manufacturer of carpets and rugs in the world." http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CIoBEBYwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carpet-rug.org%2Fdocuments%2Fpublications%



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!