Sunday, March 18, 2012

March 10, 1945 The Postal Service Delivers, Feeling Fine, Fat and Fancy and Lemon Pie

Clipping in the letter, from the New Haven Register
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Your letter didn't come this morning but maybe it will on the next delivery.  We have two deliveries on Saturday and three all the others.  That's because we're so close in town.

This has been a gorgeous week.  The mornings are still pretty nippy but it looks so much like spring and you can just feel the spring.

This has been quite a week for us.  We've done nothing but work, but tonight we're going to a play and then several of us will come here afterwards probably.  We always have something to eat but I don't know what it'll be tonight.  I've got some Pepsi Cola and will probably get some cookies or crackers and cheese.

Sully came early this morning and will be here for lunch so I'm making a lemon pie.  He and B are both at school now.  B can't do very much because he has a sty (or however you spell it) on his eye.  It isn't on his good eye but still bothers him to read.  Other than that we are both feeling fine, fat and fancy.  I think school work agrees with both of us.  I've done so little really hard work that when I washed the windows it made my shoulders so sore I could hardly move.  I told B it made me think of how I felt when the baseball season first opened when I was in high school.  Remember how sore I used to get?

The Dames Spring Line-up

We have a Dames meeting this week.  One of the girl's husband was in Europe before the war and took a lot of pictures.  He's going to show these (they are movies).  It ought to be interesting because our husbands are going too.  One of the girls (a Canadian) is married to an enemy alien.  He is German and I think Jewish.  He did not like things in Germany so he came to Pittsburgh to study and met her there.  He is a very interesting person and will probably add a lot to our discussion of the pictures.  They are both social workers.

Today is Grandma's birthday.  I hope she gets lots of cards and I know she will.

It's getting pretty late so I guess I'd better go finish my pie if I expect it to get cool for lunch.

I hope you're both fine.  Write soon."

                                  Lots and lots of love,

                                             B & Bonnie

Lemon Pie (New Hood Cookbook, 1939)

Combine 1 c. sugar, 1/3 c. cornstarch and 1/8 tsp. salt.  Add 2 c. hot water.  Cook over low heat 15 min. or until thick and clear.  Pour slowly over 3 egg yolks, mixing well.  Add 1/3 c. lemon juice and the grated rind of two lemons.  Add 2 T. butter and cool.  Turn into pastry shell and cover with meringue using egg whites left from egg yolks.  Bake in moderate oven until very lightly browned, not more than 10 to 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!