Sunday, March 18, 2012

March 4, 1945 Window Shopping in New York, The Nice Birthday, The Peculiar Feeling and The Wedding Couple

Bonnie's birthday pearls
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"This letter will be late because I went to New York yesterday and didn't get to write.  I intended to write Friday but I had so many things to do that I never got around to it.  Since I have to go back to school tomorrow I had to iron and get the house in order.  Sully is taking a class on Saturday so he came Friday evening and got here at supper time.  I was expecting him and had fish for supper.  We had to get up early yesterday because I wanted to catch the 9:00 train so Sully washed the breakfast dishes and made his bed.  We told him it was nice to have a maid and I hadn't dreamed of going to New York until one of the Dames (whose husband was going with B) suggested it.  We took the early train and the men didn't leave till 1:30 so we didn't even see them all day.   We got there about 10:30 and took a bus to the art museum and stayed there the rest of the morning.  Still we didn't see it all.  It's a huge place and is full of wonderful paintings by all the artists we studied in art class.

We spent the afternoon shopping.  I wanted to get a dress but didn't find any I wanted.  I wanted to buy some cotton blouse material too but couldn't find that either.  Macy's had just a few pieces of cotton goods.  All I bought was 2 ties for B.

We really had a lot of fun and did lots of window shopping.  It isn't hard to find your way around in New York at all so B and I are going down again later in the spring.

I had such a nice birthday.  B gave me some good pearls (white ones).  Beulah sent two cute aprons, Rosalynn sent a yellow dickey and B's mom sent a tan jersey blouse.  It looks real nice with my red suit.  So I guess it pays to have a birthday.  I haven't got around to buying my slip yet with the money you sent me.

We had a big crowd at Dames this week even if it was a bad night and the party didn't break up till after eleven.

Tuesday night we and the Coggers went to visit another Hopkins teacher and his wife.  They live in a suburb of New Haven.  They own their own home--it's real tiny and reminds me of our duplex in Springfield.

Tell Beulah I got the aprons and they were awfully nice.  I'll write to her as soon as I can.

I'm glad you told me about the card shower for Grandma.  I'll remember it.

The Crayon Co.  man wrote B that he would come to New Haven on his way to Boston so B wouldn't have to make the trip to N.Y.

B had a person to person call from N.Y. last week but he wasn't home and since I just talked to the operator we haven't any idea who called.  The only thing we can think of is that it was some soldier from Springfield passing through N.Y.

 B wrote to Tice after reading his letter in the paper and he wrote right back.  He said Mrs. Knight (B's old landlady in Springfield) wrote to him all the time and he sent one of her letters.  She told of so many boys that we know that have been killed in action.  It makes one feel awfully peculiar.

Today is like Spring and yesterday we went around without our coats.  The Life Magazines were all gone this week so we didn't get one.

I'll try to be on time with my next letter so write soon."

                                  Lots of love,

                                              B & Bonnie

The Headmaster and his bride--clipping in letter

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!