Wednesday, March 21, 2012

April 21, 1945 Out of Coal, One of the Happiest Kids That Ever Lived, Truman Will Do All Right and Pineapple Cheese Salad

Photo of Center Church on the New Haven Green taken by B
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I'm glad you liked the pictures.  We have been taking a few every once in a while.

Image courtesy of www.crazywebsite.com

It is cold and windy again and has been all week.  We haven't had any heat because there is no coal.  When we had the hot weather about two weeks ago our crazy janitor thought the cold weather was over and since there was a bit of coal left he wanted to use it up, so he burned it one of the hot days.  If you could just see our janitor you could understand him doing this for he is the funniest little old man you ever saw.  B thinks the temperature is just fine but I guess I'm like you, Mother, and want it about 85.  Ha!

We're planning big on our party tonight.  I wish you could see the big birthday cake with its 25 candles.  It really looks nice even if I did make it.  It is the three layered white cake with lemon filling and divinity icing.   We're having ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, sliced tomatoes, peas & carrots cooked together, pineapple cheese salad, hot rolls, cake & coffee.  I wish you could help us eat it.

B was real pleased with the dollar.  I didn't even see it.  He had read the mail when I got home and of course had already pocketed the money.

I certainly wish I had some of your dogwood blossoms.  I always loved them so much.  Remember how I used to make Daddy stop to pick flowers on Sundays?  That was so much fun, but we did so many nice things when I was a kid.  I guess I was one of the happiest kids that ever lived.

No, we still don't know what we'll do next year.  Chances are that we will be right here and if we are, we want to get a larger apartment or house.

I'm getting along all right with my reading.  Week after next I have a week's vacation and plan to do a lot then.  I have a term paper to write that week, too.

We sent you a copy of the world's greatest newspaper.  It was not as large as usual and they had printed no advertisements so there would be room for more news.  I saved the paper that came out Friday about Roosevelt's death.  I thought it would be something worth keeping for my children if we ever have any.  Since we heard Truman's speech we feel more confident.  I think he'll do all right.

I have been trying for weeks to buy sheets because mine were getting thin and some are completely gone.  It takes three weeks to get laundry done.  I was really getting worried but we finally got some Thursday so now I have a good supply again.


Thursday night we went to the Drama School to see some one act plays.  They were pretty good and one was by Betty Smith who wrote "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn".   She used to be a student here in the Drama School.

This is all the news so write soon."

                              Lots of love,

                                        B & Bonnie

NOTES from Ann:  No, unfortunately I don't have the Roosevelt newspaper.  I wish I did.

To hear Truman's speech:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEbkO9a0v-M


About A Tree Grows in Brooklyn:  I read this as a teenager and thought it was wonderful, despite it's darkness.   Bonnie warned me, "That is not a very happy book."
                      
Review:  "A profoundly moving novel, and an honest and true one. It cuts right to the heart of life...If you miss A Tree Grows in Brooklyn you will deny yourself a rich experience...It is a poignant and deeply understanding story of childhood and family relationships. The Nolans lived in the Williamsburg slums of Brooklyn from 1902 until 1919...Their daughter Francie and their son Neely knew more than their fair share of the privations and sufferings that are the lot of a great city's poor. Primarily this is Francie's book. She is a superb feat of characterization, an imaginative, alert, resourceful child. And Francie's growing up and beginnings of wisdom are the substance of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."
--New York Times

Pineapple Cheese Salad Ring

Dissolve 6 oz. lemon gelatin in 2 c. boiling water and cool.  Add 1/4 tsp. salt, 2 T vinegar (cider) and 1-20 oz. can crushed pineapple, undrained.  Stir in 1-1/2 c. small curd cottage cheese, 1/3 c. chopped celery, 1/4 c. shredded carrot, 1/4 c. chopped green pepper and 2 T chopped pimento.  Turn into 6 c. ring mold.  Unmold and fill center with additional cottage cheese and arrange pineapple slices around ring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!