Saturday, February 25, 2012

March 18, 1944 The Teeth, The Catalog Order, Waffles and Peachy Pork Roast

1943-44 Sears Catalog (image courtesy of newvintagelady.com)

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Today is a real Spring day.  The sun is shining and the birds have been singing.  I have been cleaning the house this morning.  Sully and Bea are coming on the 1:00 train.  I'm not fixing lunch for them so if they don't eat before they get here, they are out of luck.  We are having waffles for supper and a pork roast for tomorrow.

School is fine. We have lots of fun with the kids.


This has been a hectic week.  B has two hollow teeth that have been bothering him a little bit now and then.  I had begged him to have them pulled and Wednesday he had one pulled.  The dentist thought he could save the other one.  The roots were curved around the bone and the dentist had an awful time getting it out.  B slept just a little Wed. night and has lived on aspirin and soup since.  This morning he went back and the other tooth has to be opened.  As soon as the gum heals he will have to pull it.  B is feeling better now and I'll be glad when both teeth are out.

I wouldn't think of sending you my spread to wash.  Thanks anyway, but I can do it myself some of these days.  I bought the Rosemary damask cloth in the better quality, rose pattern on page 536.  I just bought 6 napkins.  I thought that would be all I would need.  I also got the pioneer checked cloth in red on page 532.  It's real nice.  I got napkins for that too.  The bedspread is at the bottom of page 583 on the left.  I got the rosewood.  It's awfully flimsy but will serve the purpose.

I'm glad Daddy is feeling better.  Is your shoulder all right and did it cut your head?  It's a wonder you both weren't hurt bad.  Have you got the car fixed yet?  Does Bob Ellis have a garage?

We can't see much difference in prices.  It takes just as much to live now as it did two months ago.  We give .41 for large eggs.  That isn't too bad.

I must stop and fix some lunch.  Hope you are all fine."

      Lots of love,

             Bonnie
                                         
      
                                                               

Bonnie's Quick Waffles

Sift together 1-1/2 c. flour, 3 tsp. baking pwd., 1 tsp. salt and 1 T sugar.  Separate 2 eggs and beat whites.  Beat yolks with 1-1/2 c. milk and 4 T melted shortening.  Mix with flour, fold in egg whites.

Bonnie's Brownie Waffles (dessert)

Melt 1/2 c. butter and 2 sq. unsweetened chocolate together.  Add 1 c. sugar and beat well.  Add  1 tsp. vanilla and cool.  Beat 2 eggs in, one at a time.   Mix 1-1/2 c. flour and 1 tsp. baking powder then add alternately with 1/2 c. milk.  Stir in 1 c. finely chopped nuts.  Waffles will crisp as they cool.  Serve with ice cream and chocolate sauce.


Peachy Pork Roast

Sprinkle 4 lb. pork roast with salt and pepper.   Bake at 325 for about 40 min. per pound.  Meanwhile,
blend together 3 T water, 3/4 c. peach preserves, 1 tsp. dry mustard, 2 T lemon juice and 1 T soy sauce.  Simmer 5 minutes.  Baste pork with sauce several times during last 30 min. of baking.  Can add peach halves during last 15 min. and put around roast to garnish.

                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!