Saturday, February 25, 2012

March 25, 1944 Spring Cleaning Fever, Ancient Petra and The Jr. Red Cross

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Today is a gorgeous day.  It is so warm and the sun is so bright.  We haven't any heat and have had the windows open most of the morning.  I have had the spring cleaning fever and have scrubbed and scraped all day.  I washed my bedspread and bedroom curtains, washed the bedroom and bathroom windows and cleaned the whole apartment.  The spread was easy to wash.  I just let it soak and swished it around a bit.  B wrung it for me and helped me hang it up.  It won't have to be ironed but I'm dreading the curtains because they are organdy and each panel has a ruffle all the way around it.

My main reason for doing so much cleaning is that the Dames are coming here to do hospital work Tuesday night.  We had our regular meeting last week and the Dean of Yale spoke to us about one of the world's wonders.  It is a lost city called Petra that is located in Jerusalem.  It isn't on maps but is near Mt. Hor where Aaron is buried.  Dean Furniss and eleven other American boys went there to explore the place right after they finished college.  He told too much for me to write, but it was awfully interesting.  http://www.atlastours.net/jordan/aarons_tomb.html

Yesterday was my last day of practice teaching and I go back to the college for regular courses Monday.   My supervisor thought I did a good job.  The kids in the room wanted me to help them organize a Jr. Red Cross Club so I'll go once a week for an hour after school to help them.  We'll make things for the Red Cross.

We had a nice time last weekend.  The ballet was a bit disappointing--not nearly as good as it was last year.

It's a wonder the draft board doesn't call B and Nobel both from all they are taking.  It wouldn't surprise us much if B was called.  It looks like they would take him before Nobel.  How will Aunt Cliffie manage without John Henry?

I guess I had better stop and take a bath.  I've run out of news and have to go to the store as usual."

                                       Lots of love,

                                             B & Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!