Monday, November 18, 2013

May 2, 1959 The Animal House, The Chicken's Ankles, The Chicago Trip and The Sophmore Formal


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I've been cleaning all day so I'll rest awhile and write this before the kids come from school.  I spent all morning in the kids' rooms.  They have so much junk and the bathroom upstairs was so dirty.  I should call it the animal house, I guess.  Who would have thought that I'd ever help raise a chicken in the bathroom?  It's a rooster and it is getting pretty big now so we have to keep wire over the box.  It got out and got in the box of feed the other day and Bob thought that was real funny.  He has a frame made for a pen but B hasn't had time to go with him to get wire for it.  We'll probably have to put it with yours this summer.  It curled up its feet and walked on its ankles for a couple of days and I wished it would die for Bob worried about it so much but its fine again now.


We're having lovely days now and I have an iris in bloom.  The violets are everywhere--even in the grass in the yard.  B mowed the lawn last night and I would like to get outside to work.  There just hasn't been any time the past two weeks.

We are going to the sophomore formal tomorrow night and I've been making a dress for that.  I ordered one but didn't like it when it came.  I still have to put the hem in and I have to press B's white coat.

It was real cold in Chicago last Sunday but we were in the museum all the time so it didn't spoil our day.  The Brussels exhibits were scattered all over the building and everything we saw was wonderful.  There were a lot of new things--telephone exhibit, cancer, polio, color T.V. and dozens of others.

There is another couple here today for an interview so B ate lunch at school.  We got up real early so he could go to the airport but the people drove in about noon.  I didn't have to do anything this time and I was glad.

Things are humming around school as they always are this time of the year.  B has two high school commencement talks to make but he enjoys that.

Ann has a recital tomorrow and they are getting ready for a big one the end of the month.

We start having Brownie Scout meetings next Wednesday.  I hope it won't be as hard as Cub Scout work.

Bonnie and the Connecticut dogwood, about 1945
I wish I had a big bouquet of dogwood.  There are a few redbud trees around town but it has been a long time since I saw a dogwood tree.

Hope you both are fine."

                              Lots of love,

                                      Bonnie

Take a look at some of the World's Fair highlights in this brief video:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!