Wednesday, November 13, 2013

March 28, 1959 Shirtwaists, Warm Days, Godless Russians and Ugly Americans



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I was so very, very glad to have your letters and know that things are better there.  I was afraid both of you would get sick for I know how tired and worried all of you were about Nobel.

The dress material is beautiful and I can hardly wait to cut it but you shouldn't have worried about my birthday.  I probably will make it shirtwaist--everything is shirtwaist now and I love them.  My Xmas dress is real pretty but I'm not sure I like the short waistline.  My suit is finished and I guess I'll wear it tomorrow.  Ann's dress is done too and she can hardly wait to wear it.  Bob wanted some new Levis (the tan ones) so we bought him a pair but they are for school and not church.  He so seldom asks for clothes that I didn't waste much time getting them.  Maybe he's about to give up blue jeans.

I got a permanent yesterday.  No one could take me last Sat. without an appointment so I had to make one.  I had my hair done short and it sure feels good.

We had a couple of wonderful warm days but it has been real cold the rest of the time.  I washed the outside of the windows one of those days and wanted to get the yard raked but it turned cold again before I could get that done.  The grass is getting green and it really looks good.

Bob and Ann dug up a flower bed and planted lettuce and radishes.  They really need a place to dig and plant.

If I can remember it I'll bring Dr. Zhivago for you to read next summer.  It is truly a wonderful book and I can see why the Russians wouldn't print it.  There is too much religion in it and the Godless Russian leaders wouldn't want their atheists exposed to such reasonable belief in Jesus as the author suggests is the answer to the world's problems.


I've read The Ugly American this week too and it's another good book.  It is easy reading and shows exactly why we (America) fail in so many countries.  It is so true that it makes you boil inside but I saw so many Americans in Japan that were just like some of the characters in this book.  The missionaries are the only ones who seem to make an effort at being real representatives of America.  Read it if you get a chance.  We borrowed the one we have.

B and Jim had a good time in Kansas City.  We have tried to get him to apply for jobs that have been open here but he never has.

Sorensens should be in the Fiji Islands by now but we haven't heard from them.  He is to be the new Graduate School Dean next fall and will work with B and Art Larsen.  They are very happy about it.

Granny is still in the hospital.  She could go home but Toni would have an awful time taking care of her so she decided to stay a while longer.  It will be 3 months before she can even stand on the leg.  She is fine though and satisfied.

The mail just came and I had a long letter from Beulah.  I was so glad to hear from her but don't know how she found time to write.  I'll try to answer it right away.

I must stop.  It is almost lunch time but I haven't done much today.

Have a nice Easter.  I expect my S.S. class will be running over tomorrow so I have to do some extra planning.  We had 24 last Sunday.  I always look like I've done a days' work when I get thru S.S. but the kids are usually very good.

Ann liked your card and letter."

                              Lots of love,

                                   Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. That is so fantastic! Those "godless Russians". I got a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a popular phrase during the Cold War years, although I must say it gave me a little jolt and chuckle as well to see it in the letter!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!