Monday, November 11, 2013

March 14, 1959 Quite a Week, Cranky as a Bear, Scared Stiff and Bright Copen Blue

Gamma Phi Circus, The Index, 1959
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I was glad to have Daddy's letter but oh! so sorry that Nobel had to go back to Jeff. City.  It just made me sick but maybe it isn't as bad as it looks.  I wrote Beulah a letter and sent it special delivery so she should get it today or tomorrow at the latest.  All of you must be very tired.  You must rest every chance you get.

This has been quite a week.  It started on Sunday with a tea and still hasn't let up.  We had Sorensens here Monday for supper, B went to Decatur Tues. night to give a talk and then again Wed. night for his class.  Quill Club met here Thurs. night and we took the kids with two of their friends to the school circus last night.


Tonight we go to Potluck and tomorrow night there is a program at school.  Then I went to a coffee party for Edna one morning and have gone to the hospital every afternoon.  My work has had to be sandwiched in and I'm as cranky as a bear with it all.  Maybe next week will be better.

Granny Watterson is having her hip set this morning.  She developed a fever after they were all ready to set it last Monday so they wouldn't do it, of course.  She was seriously sick last Monday and we were all scared stiff about her.  She had to have a transfusion and glucose but that pulled her out of it and she looked real chipper yesterday.  I don't plan to go today unless they call me for she will probably be drowsy all day.

I've been trying to sew on my suit but can't get very far.  I have pink nylon for Ann's Easter dress too and she's about to pop because I haven't started it.  I want to get my suit together first, though.  I just don't like to leave cut out things around too long.  They get too wrinkled and are hard to work with.

Look magazine, March 31, 1959
My suit is bright copen blue and is just a plain tailored pattern.  I thought I could wear it longer than one of the newfangled patterns.

I wish you'd write me a card when you hear anything from Nobel--just a line or two so I'll know.  Don't try calling.  Ann thought Daddy had the wrong number the other night.  She didn't recognize his voice.

Hope everything is all right."

                            Lots of love,

                                    Bonnie

1 comment:

  1. One really sees the shifting of the decades from a fashion perspective in that image featuring leather garments. There are traces of the 50s still, but so much it says (screams, even) 1960s to me. I like that your mom was keen to play it wise and stick with a suit pattern that more classic than trendy (I don't dislike the leather look show here or most of the fashions of that era, but with a suit in particular, you always stand to get the most bang for your buck by opting for timeless styles).

    Big hugs & tons of happy weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!