Tuesday, September 10, 2013

November 23, 1957 The Kids Had a Recital, The Methodists Had a Bazaar and The University Had a Conference

Woman's Day, Jan., 1957

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We just got back from a recital. Both of the kids had to play and we've been gone most of the morning.  B had to work and hasn't come home yet.

Bob and I went to the eye clinic and had to wait all afternoon.  We were both really aggravated.  Bob's glasses have to be changed but the Dr. said his eyes haven't changed an awful lot this year and can still be corrected completely with glasses.  I'm getting a little far sighted--she said I always had been probably but my eyes could take care of it without it bothering.  As I get older it is harder for my eyes to overcome it so I get headaches and puffy eyes.  I am getting some glasses to wear when I feel I need them for I'll need them only part of the time--when I sew for a long time or read or type.  I suppose we'll get the glasses next week sometime.

The new Methodist church had a bazaar and dinner this week to help pay for the church.  We bought tickets for the dinner but so did most of Normal.  There was a regular mob of people and after waiting 2-1/2 hrs. we got a half dinner.  It was a mess.  That cooked us on benefit suppers.

The University had a week-long conference on Religion and Life for students, teachers & townspeople.  They had a wonderful program planned but I didn't get to much.  They brought in speakers from all over the country and on all the religions.  B and I went to hear the opening speech, went to a tea for the speakers & then went to hear the Japanese man talk on Buddhism.  Our church served a supper to the students and I made a cake but didn't go help work.

My throat is fine and never really got me down like it does sometimes.  I think I'm afraid it will every time it gets a little sore.  We had our last polio shot this week but they didn't bother us.  B's arm ached that day but I think it was the way the needle went in that caused it because he had a bruise on his arm.

Edna's leg hurts her an awful lot but she is going places now and isn't weak like she was when she was staying in bed.  They had planned to go away for Thanksgiving but she's going to stay at home.  They plan to spend Christmas in Florida, though.  They are going to fly from St. Louis.

I guess we'll stay home Thanksgiving.  The kids want turkey so we'll get a little one because it is my turn to cook meat for the potluck group & I planned to get turkey for it.  We will have it here on Dec. 7 and it'll be a Xmas party.  We have the centerpiece made.  We cut little branches and made a little tree from them & I painted it silver.  Then we made ornaments out of egg shells--painted them blue & decorated them with silver glitter.  They are pretty.

I had better get some lunch so bye for now."

                 Lots of love,

                          Bonnie

NOTE:  I wish I still had the egg ornaments but have only one.  The eggs were emptied by punching a tiny hole in each end and blowing on one end.  They were then painted all over and rolled in glitter or,  using a hat pin, an oval section of the egg was removed thus creating a "window" into the egg.  When that was done, the edge of the window was trimmed with glitter, cotton was put inside the egg, then tiny Christmas scenes were made inside using cut out parts of old Christmas cards.  They were enchanting little dioramas. 

2 comments:

  1. I think I have some of the egg ornaments. I will check next time I am home if they are still there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awesome! I think there might be egg ornaments from Easter, but I hope you might have the Christmas ones!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!