Friday, September 13, 2013

December 11 and December 14, 1957 Reviewing the Christmas Travel Plans, Writing the Cards and Skipping as Much as Possible

Ladies Home Journal, December, 1957

 Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We still plan to be home a week from today--probably late in the afternoon for we won't get up real early.  It has been so cold but we haven't any snow now.  Hope we don't get any next week.

I wrote Bessie that I'd bring all the cranberry sauce & relish, the olives & some cookies.


I promised Bob that we'd try to go to Beulah's one day but I won't get a permanent.  Toni cut my hair and it still has more permanent than I want to curl over.  I'll give her, Beulah, one if she wants me to, although Charlotte can probably do better than I can.


We'll spend Xmas Eve at Belshe's so you can go to Buddy's when you want to.  Traffic will be real heavy in the afternoon so start in the morning if you go then.  There probably won't be a lot of traffic on Xmas day.

Don't plan a big dinner for home--let's just have an ordinary family dinner one day when Beulah can be there.

I'll try to find some wool scraps for you.

I finally got my cards finished--worked three days on them.  But I still haven't got my shopping finished.  There have been so many things going on and we've skipped all of them that we can.  Next week will be full of things.

I must get busy so see you soon."

                         Lots of love,

                                  Bonnie
                              
                        


NOTES:   Mom kept a folder of magazine clippings she thought I should keep.  Included were several Christmas stories.  The one pictured above is too long to post easily, but it is a delightfully illustrated version of the Nativity.  And just for fun for those of you who enjoy 50's fashion,  below are a couple of pages of the Ladies Home Journal featuring a young Jacqueline Kennedy.  Sorry about the blurry print.






Dear Readers,  thank you for reading another year of letters!  As usual, it will take me a couple of days to organize 1958,  so enjoy a break or go back to find updates and added images, and check back in a few days for our start to '58.  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!