Tuesday, August 6, 2013

January 27, 1957 The Promotion, The Wesleyan Observatory Trip, The Party Hat and The May Basket and The Unfinished Dress

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Our big news is the clipping.  It is a wonderful promotion for B and an important one.  He didn't apply for the job but it was offered to him and we felt that was an honor itself.  He will go ahead with the curriculum work for the rest of the year besides the work in the Dean's office.  He'll still do a little teaching--next fall.  The important thing about the job is that it is a twelve month's job with twelve pay checks.  B is lucky in having taught every summer since we came here.  Many teachers do not get summer teaching assignments.  That means only 9 months pay and even if they teach summers it is only 11 months.  Vacations will be fewer and shorted but that has to be worked out later.  A lot of details are still to be worked out for it is a newly created position.

I'm still trying to thaw out after taking the scouts to the Wesleyan Observatory to look at the stars.  We almost froze for it is still very cold and we have deep snow.  Last Monday was like spring.  The snow and ice thawed and we got the walks all clean.  Tuesday night we had a blizzard.  I took a cold that night and it has made me pretty miserable.  It was Lynn's birthday and we went out there for supper.

I sold another article.  The letter came today and i had a check a few days ago for one that is in the current issue of Grade Teacher.  It was for a party hat and the one today is for a may basket.  They still have one article that they haven't bought or sent back.  I hope they buy it but I also wish I had some time to submit some more.

My dress is all done but the hem.  B hasn't been home long enough to measure it for me.  I need to sew for Ann so badly.  I have material if I get at it.

Bob had a card & a dollar from Beulah but she didn't write anything.  I was so disappointed but I guess she didn't have time.

Hope you both are fine.  Is Daddy's stomach o.k. now that the Xmas rush is over?  I hope so."

                Love to you both,

                            Bonnie



1 comment:

  1. I remember the Cub Scouts visiting the telescope at Wesleyan U in cold deep snow. I don't remember what we looked at but I do remember standing around in the snow waiting for the guide to show up. We had arranged for one night and if it was cloudy come the next night. So we came the second night since it was cloudy in Normal on the first night. Of course in Bloomington it was different. A phone call would have been much a better arrangement.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!