Wednesday, August 7, 2013

February 2, 1957 Bonnie Loses Her Balance, Finishes Her Dress, Makes Eliza's Cookies and Visits the Classrooms

Good Housekeeping, Jan., 1957 prediction
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"This is the extent of our paper supply so this won't be much letter.  We are all fine.  My cold is gone but some of it got into a middle ear, I guess and I spent last Sunday in bed.  Nothing hurt but I just didn't have any balance.  I couldn't stand up.  It was a silly feeling but didn't last long.

Life, Jan. 21, 1957
B has been working in his new office but isn't moved in yet.  He hopes to start tomorrow.  He leaves home before 8:00 and gets home after 5:00 every day so Ann will have to go to piano with us all the time now.  She hates going.  Bob is doing very well about it.  There is a recital tomorrow.

I finally got my dress done and wore it.  It looks real nice and I have a dress almost finished for Ann.  It's the material you gave her last Xmas and it made up real pretty.  I can finish it tonight.  She doesn't know I have been making it.  If she finds out I've started her a dress she doesn't let me alone until it's done and on her.

I'm afraid I won't do much writing until I get thru with my Scouts and that will be for the rest of the school year.  They take every spare minute and more.   I can sew a few minutes at a time and pick it up anytime but I can't write that way.  I need two or three hours in a stretch.  I'm happy about selling what I have and have some ideas to work out and submit.

I went to school with Ann yesterday and stayed all morning.  She had been after me to go for days and insisted that all the other mothers had already visited.  There were two other mothers there too.  Sometimes I feel sorry for those teachers because they have so much company.  Anyone is welcome to go and visit anytime but I think the teachers must get tired of being watched so much.  The children don't pay much attention.  Bob wants me to come to his room for spelling so I hope to go next week.  I don't know why he wants me to see spelling.  We have a parents' meeting Monday night and I have to take cookies.  They can't have a meeting without cookies and coffee it seems.




We are co-hosts for our Sunday School potluck supper next Fri. night and I can't think of any kind of meat to have that will be easy and cheap.  The hosts always furnish the meat dish.  Other people bring salads and desserts.

Good Housekeeping, Jan., 1957

We still have deep snow and ice everywhere.  The optimist club roped off a hilly street last weekend so the kids could slide.  B took the kids out for a while and they really had a time.  It was blue cold but they didn't care.

I must get to work on Ann's dress.  I can't get my buttonhole machine to work so will have to do them by hand.

Hope you both are fine."

                            Lots of love,

                                  Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!