Saturday, July 13, 2013

July 8, 1956 Planting Grass Seed, Moving Gravel, Washing the House and Shooting Caps

Clipping included in letter, but no explanation
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"After a cold rainy week it has finally warmed up again.  We were glad to see the sun.  The cloudy days did give me a chance to plant the grass seed and to transplant the petunias.  The sun wilts them so badly but they finally straighten up.  They would do fine if the kids and Pretzel wouldn't walk on them.  I had plenty of plants without buying any at all.  The mums look wonderful.  They don't look like they have ever been moved and the iris are showing a little growth.

I haven't worked on the patio yet but want to move a little gravel tomorrow so we can order a load of dirt to fill in the forms.

Toni and Watty came up last night just for a visit.  The farm is sold and they hope the papers will all be signed and they will have their money by August.  Then they'll start their house.  They hope they can spend Christmas in it.

B has worked all week at washing the house and getting it ready to paint.  It looks nice and clean but the paint is sure thin.  B is anxious to get the job done.

I've been to the dentist twice this week and my work should be done by next Friday.  This week has been rugged.  The dentist gave me a shot when he drilled off for the cap which will support the new tooth.  That helped a lot but it made my face sore and my gums are sore.  He made the impressions this morning.

We had a pretty good Fourth.  Both of us worked all day and the kids of the whole neighborhood gathered here to shoot caps.  It was a bit noisy.  After supper we went to Mildred Wells' house so the children could shoot fireworks with her son.  They had a big time.

Tell Charlotte that every one of the pepper plants is growing big and husky.

I had a nice letter from Mabel G. thanking me for the clothes we took for Vicky.  She writes one every time I give them anything.

Take care of yourselves and don't work too hard when it is so hot."

                       Lots of love,

                             Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!