Monday, July 15, 2013

July 21, 1956 Lovely and Cool, Green and Lush, Tired of Paint and Looking for Material



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We've been having lovely, cool weather and rain every few days.  Everything is so green and lush.  Our flowers along the drive are beginning to look nice.  They are just starting to bloom a little but the petunias are spreading and looking good.  I've never seen such sick looking things as they were when I transplanted them.  There were more than enough for the drive and there are still enough left in the first bed to make it look nice.

Our tomatoes are big and full of blooms but no green ones yet.  We bought our first home grown ones yesterday for .10 a lb.  They sure were good.

The painting has slowed down.  The rain has kept B from working on the trim but he has been painting on the garage door.  We didn't want it to get wet before it was painted so we've left it up.  B has it undercoated and is giving it the first white coat now.  He got one gutter partly up yesterday.

My patio is about half done.  I can't do any more now until we get some fill.  I have the place fixed for it but it keeps raining and I don't want the truck coming on the lawn while it's soft.  Maybe it won't rain any more till after Mon. and I can get some them.

I had a committee meeting one night this week and B and I spent one morning at a book exhibit.  The committee is planning a fall banquet for the Faculty Women's Club.  It is planned for Sept. so we have to get the work done before summer school is out because everyone it too busy the first of school.

I wrote and asked for my manuscript again yesterday.  I sent postage this time so maybe I'll get it this time.  I also registered the letter.

It looks like we aren't going to have the measles.  None of the children took them after being exposed.  School will soon be out.  Bob and Ann have two weeks and B has three.  We still have lots of work lined up for this summer and I want to get it done before we come home if we can.  I don't know why I dread doing the bathroom but I guess I'm just tired of paint.

I'm still looking for material for bathroom curtains so I'll keep on the look out for yours, too.

B and Bob are going to the lake for a Cub Scout overnight outing and I must get their stuff together so I had better stop."



               Lots of love,

                      Bonnie


Images just for fun from Life, May 21, 1956 and Woman's Day, May, 1956

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!