Thursday, September 27, 2012

May 24, 1952 The Vaccination, The Cat Woman, The Stomach Aches, The Hat and The Dirty Hair

May 24, 1952 Peanuts (www.gocomics.com)

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I hope you'll be able to read this for I'm writing on the arm of a chair in the living room.  It is so noisy on this street with the windows open and I always listen for the children.  Ann has had her smallpox vaccination at last and it is taking today so she will probably be wakeful for several nights.  It is hot today but I have to keep long sleeves on Ann to keep her from scratching her arm.

Graduation is two weeks from tomorrow.  If all goes well we will drive to Alabama on the 8th.  We'll probably stay about a week unless it gets too hot down there.  They have all had the flu and been terribly sick.

I wouldn't dare buy you a hat.  What I'd like might look awful on you.  Do you have an old one you like?  Maybe if you'd send it to me, I could work it over. 

Bonnie and a favorite hat


And a summer hat
Mr. Dorland died this week.  He's been sick for 6 weeks and they've sat up with him day and night.  Neither of us could go to the funeral so I just sent a card.

You remember Mrs. Smith (the cat woman) who lived next door to us at Dorland's?  They have finally got those houses cleaned up and are selling them at auction.  It will be interesting to see what they bring for so many people have said they wouldn't have them because of the cats.  I'd love to have one of them--7 rooms on one floor, I think.

I haven't painted a bit this week or done much else.  If I don't get busy I'm not going to get it done before it gets awfully hot.

B and I were both sick the first part of the week with a stomach ache.  Our stomachs were so sore we could hardly stand it.

Ann is always asleep when our sitter comes but is all right when she wakes for a drink but I never leave her in the daytime.  She's throw a real fit.

Bobby's hair is so dirty with sand most of the time I don't know whether it is light or not.  I think it gets darker, though."

                    Lots of love,

                           Bonnie

NOTE:  An entry in Truman's diary on May 18, 1952 indicated great frustration over the Communists and the Korean War.  To see the entire entry:  http://www.trumanlibrary.org/flip_books/index.php?pagenumber=1&titleid=261&tldate=1952-05-18&collectionid=ihow&PageID=-1&groupid=3733


1 comment:

  1. Awwww, I just love that you kicked off this post with a vintage Peanuts cartoon strip. Charlie Brown and his gang go hand-in-hand with fall so much for me. The season just isn't the same if I don't watch The Great Pumpkin at least a couple of times in October. I love it so much, and probably know it by heart at the point, but somehow it just helps make autumn and Halloween so much more magical for me.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!