Wednesday, August 22, 2012

May 19 and 26, 1951 Formal and Slip, Shirt and Shorts, Stove and Water Heater, Blooms, Berries and Hives

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Ann is asleep and Bobby is outside playing so I'll try to get a letter written.

We are invited to the Jr.-Sr.  Prom so I spent last night cutting a formal.  It is yellow net and I think will be pretty.  I finally got the green one all done but sewing on the buttons.

We are having wonderful, warm weather.  Bobby is in a sun-suit this morning.  Both kids are over their colds.  B and I never took them.

Yes, I still have a girl (student) to help me.  It is a different one, thought, for Marge got into too much work and had to give up some of it.  She still babysits for me, though.  The girl is washing woodwork today and cleans a room each week she comes so we'll have it done by June 1st.  There won't be a lot of straightening up to do when we move.  The movers will set things in place and the things which I'll have to box will be things I'll have to put away.  If I need help, though, I can always get it.

Maybe after the rush spring season, Daddy can get off for a few days.  I wish he could.

B's talks are going fine and he enjoys doing it.  There is so much going on--and will be until school is out.

Dr. Ball dismissed me yesterday so that is that.

I must go check on Bobby to see where he is so bye for now."

                    Lots of love,

                          B & Bonnie

May 26, 1951

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Breakfast is just over so I'll try to do this before the girl comes to clean.  She is just about thru with the woodwork so we'll have it done when we move.  Now it looks like we'll move the week of the 1st--somewhere around June 4-6.  We have to wait until a new house can be finished enough for a family to move into it and then three families will move at once.  We have a mover lined up and are anxious to have it done.

I have my formal finished and the slip cut out.  I want to do a lot of sewing before we move but the days slip by and I don't get much done.  Newcomers have invited all old members to their last meeting of the year on Mon. so I want to go to that.  On Wed. night we went to the Home Ec. house for supper.  We had a very nice time and were the only guests.

Before I forget it again, I want to tell you that B's shirt is very nice but we'll have to bring it back.  The sleeves are too short--takes 34.  His folks sent shorts too small too so we'll bring it all and exchange then.

Did I tell you we bought the Sears stove?  We plan to buy an automatic water heater too when we get moved.  B and Jim will install it so we can take it when we leave that place.

We still don't have the box packed to send to Beulah but maybe we'll get it done this week.  B has Memorial Day off and we hope to get a lot done.  The attic is a mess and we have to clean that.

I wish we could help you pick strawberries.  Bobby is good at it.  I've given up hopes of making much jam.  There are too many other things that need to be done first.  There are lots of blooms on the wild ones this year but I don't know whether we'll have any berries or not.

Yes, I am fine or the Dr. wouldn't have dismissed me.  My skin has been itching and I've had some places like hives so he gave me some bitter anti-histamine pills for that and they seem to have worked.  He thought it an allergy of some kind but the pills are working so I had to report on that by phone and I am thru with him unless something else comes up which I don't expect.  He sure was good to me.

Watty has been made acting head of the Geography dept.  It means a boost in salary & position.  We have had three deaths on the faculty within ten days--two of them young people.  One was head of the Geography Dept. 
From ISNU yearbook, The Index, 1951

I don't know when we'll come home--depends on our moving, but we'll stay at B's.  She has a crib for us so we won't have to bring one.

Jerry, Bonnie's nephew
I have a package for Jerry if I ever get it wrapped.  Hope you are all fine."

                      Lots of love,

                           Bonnie

NOTE:  For an interesting account and images of the May 17, 1951 action in Korea known as the May Massacre, use this link:  http://www.koreanwar.org/html/may_massacre.html

"By early morning of 18 May, the situation in the sector of the 38th Infantry had become critical with many of the units fighting Chinese on all sides. The First Battalion of the 38th was in particularly dangerous shape with the main enemy penetration between "A" and "B" companies. It was evident that help would have to be provided, so, at first light the Second Battalion of the 9th shifted eastward behind the 38th and attacked northeastward while the Third Battalion of the 9th launched a drive to the north. The purpose was to seal off the enemy who had succeeded in bursting through the lines."  Source:  http://www.2id.org/may-massacre.htm

For those interested in Picasso's depiction of war in his painting, "Massacre in Korea", use this linkhttp://www.actingoutpolitics.com/analysis-of-pablo-picasso%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%9Cmassacre-in-korea%E2%80%9D-1951-when-life-is-forced-to-ttransform-into-painting/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!