Sunday, August 26, 2012

July 14, 21 and 28, 1951 The Sedative, The Mountain Goat, The Nicely Healing Thumb, A Pot of Beans and A Short Letter


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I probably won't get far with this but I'll start anyway.  Bobby is asleep and Ann is awake since she started her nap real early.  I took her to the Dr. this morning in hopes he could tell me something to do to make her sleep better.  She weighs 20-1/2 lbs. now and is the perfect baby that she has always been.  He thought her waking at night was a habit.  We're going to give her a sedative for a couple of nights and see what will happen.  She climbs like a mountain goat.

You know the walnut table that you gave me?  She climbs onto the shelf and sits there like a queen just jabbering away.  She climbs into our big green chair and sits on the arm.  I can just see her falling off backwards and this morning when she was up in it I turned around just as she had one knee on the sewing machine.  She was practically up on it.  Right now she is happily eating your letter that came this morning and looking out the door calling Bobby & her daddy.

Toni and the baby are fine.  She had a cable and some letters from Watty.  They are in England and had a very smooth crossing.

The summer term is half gone today.  We would like so much for you to come to see us when school is out.  How about Mr. Noe?  Do you think he'd take care of the stock?  Think real hard.  Maybe you can think of someone.  We'll probably come home for a few days sometime during Aug. but I don't know when.  We may change our minds about this if you come here.  I wish you would.

My legs are fine.  Very little itching but they are still blotchy from the old bumps & probably will be for a long time.  My thumb is healing nicely.  I can wear just a band-aid now instead of a bandage.  It is going to leave a nasty scar and will be touchy for a long time.  Part of my thumb still feels like it has been asleep but is better every day.  Evidently I cut a nerve.

My $3.00 dress is chambray, I think and I'm getting so much good out of it.  We went to another sale on Mon.  I got a denim (light blue) skirt and B got two suits--one summer nylon & rayon & one wool winter suit.  It was a real sale and the place was mobbed.  I still haven't found any materials on sale but keep looking.



Bobby is waking so I will stop."

                 Lots of love,

                       Bonnie




July 21, 1951

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"The children are in bed for naps.  Bobby is now sleeping on his couch.  I don't know what made him decide to sleep there but it was his own idea and I don't know how long it will last.

We had a sitter stay last night while we went to Wheeler's for a while.  She did fine.  Ann woke up but went right back to sleep after a drink.  She is doing a little better but the sedative hasn't done enough good to suit us so we aren't giving it anymore.  In the last week she slept two nights without a bottle but still had to have several drinks.

Lynn slammed the door on Bobby's hand and caught the little finger in the latch.  It made an awful mess of his nail but I rushed him to the clinic on the corner and they fixed him up.  It looks real well today and I don't know whether the nail is going to heal back or not.  It was cut practically out.

Our furniture dealer came to look at our couch and said it was in bad shape.  They are taking it back to the factory tomorrow to be re-built.  He said we'll keep sending it back until it holds up.

Would Cecil Powers feed the stock?  I keep trying to think of someone to do it.  If you should have a chance to get someone even before school is out, be sure and come right then.  We could do more, of course, if B isn't in school but we'd still enjoy having you come.
Francis Jr., Bonnie's nephew

I finally got a letter written to Francis Jr.  I am so ashamed that I was so long in answering his graduation announcement.  I would love to go to his wedding but I guess it is out of the question.  It would be so far, but we'll send a wedding gift anyway.  I don't know what it will be but I'm beginning to think about it.

Ann doesn't walk yet.  She will take a step and then sit down.  Every once in awhile she'll stand up in the middle of the floor and play with something in her hands.  She'll stand there a long time.  She came all the way down the stairs yesterday.  I was there to catch her but she didn't need help.  I want her to know how to go up and down but I want to be near when she does it.

B is putting up some shelves in the front room.  If he gets through in time I want to clean the house.  Ann is afraid of the sweeper so I have to wait until he can be here.  I still get my ironing done.  It is always huge and takes the girl about 4 hrs. to do it.



I must put groceries away and wash the dishes.  I'm going to cook a pot of beans with a ham bone so that will be our supper.

Hope you are both fine and will soon find someone to care for your things so you can come."

                Lots of love,

                    Bonnie

NOTE:  Every once in awhile there will be another family letter along with Bonnie's.  The one below was from her nephew, Roger, with a quick note from his brother, Francis Jr. .




July 28, 1951

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We have really been sweating this week.  It is so hot but seems a little cooler tonight.

This week has gone by without my getting anything done.  I went to a meeting of former Newcomers Club members and enjoyed it.  We just visited for we hadn't all been together in a year.

B went to the Men's picnic supper on Wed. evening.  It is a yearly affair for men teachers and students only.  They always have a good time.

Bobby is fine but Ann has been sick since Sun. night.  She had a high fever so we called the Dr.   He came and said her throat was inflamed.  Penicillin has stopped it but she has a rash today.  I guess it is from the penicillin or else she is getting another tooth.  She is eating normally now and seems fine except for the rash.  She seems to break out when a tooth is coming but the Dr. didn't think a tooth has caused the fever.  If the rash is worse tomorrow I'll call him and see what he thinks.

Our couch still isn't back.  I guess they are making me a new one.  The living room looks so funny without it.

B has two more weeks of school.  It has gone fast but I'll be glad when it's out.  I want to paint our bedroom for one thing and there are lots of little things we want to get done.

A man from Yale is coming tomorrow to be interviewed.  They need someone to take Jim's place.  They will soon be gone and we will miss them terribly.

Toni hears from Watty real often.  He and his women (there's only one boy in the class) have crossed the channel and are in Belgium now.  They are having a wonderful time, of course.


B has been washing the car.  Bobby thought it was so much fun to help.  His hands haven't been so clean in months.

Your letter hasn't come so I'll look for it tomorrow."

                  Lots of love,

                       Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. "Ann's drinking problem" in the title made me smile, as I pictured a tipsy youngster (which of course wasn't the case). Those fantastic summer denim pieces also have me smiling - and wishing that such fashions were a lot easier to track down today (ideally at the kind of sale prices Bonnie was describing!).

    Wishing you a beautiful, relaxing Sunday, dear Ann,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again I'm replying years late to your sweet comments. I'm so grateful for your interest and enthusiasm and as I now begin to update and fix typos on the letters, I continue to find out how little I knew about Blogger when I started this project. Thank you again, Jessica, and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!