Tuesday, July 10, 2012

October 16, 1949 The Sugar Maples, The Molar, The Church, The Sitter Quits, Forgetting the Mothers and Date Roll



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It looks like it will rain any minute but we have had some real pretty days.  The trees in front of the house were just gorgeous for several days.  Then the hard winds and the rain brought all the leaves down at once.  The trees are sugar maple and had such big leaves.  People stopped to pick up leaves every day and even cars stopped.  I had one bouquet of them and it was real pretty but didn't last long. 

Bobby slept till almost 9:30 so I'm wondering if he'll nap.  He's in the crib but is not asleep yet.  He's had a rough week--so restless every night and fussy all day.  He has a molar and I guess that has caused it.

We finally cancelled the order for the utility cabinet and bought one at another store.  It came this morning so I don't have it filled yet--just fits, there by the stove and looks fine.  We cancelled the chair for Bobby, too--got tired of waiting and he's used to the stool now so we decided not to even get one.  We'll saw these legs off a little so it will go under the table a little more.

The church will sure be nice.  How much is done on it now?



Bonnie's Daddy laying the corner stone of the church, Richland, MO.



B & Jim went with a group to a football game at Urbana so Bobby and I are going to see Evelyn and the kids when he gets up.  We have a pass so may go see part of the game at the school here.  The game at Urbana is between Missouri & Illinois Universities.  I was invited but of course couldn't take Bobby.  My sitter never came back so I'm looking for another one--a university girl that will do extra work when I need help.  Some will work while babies sleep so if I can find one she can iron some for me.  That is what I hate to do. 

I just finished a pair of overalls for Lynn since Toni wouldn't even charge me for the stuff she used on my hair.  Did I tell you she gave me a permanent?  My hair looked so shaggy I had to have one.

I entertained the Mothers' Club Monday night and had 13.  I had completely forgotten about it till Evelyn (Wheeler) reminded me of it Sat. afternoon.  I served a date roll with whipped cream and coffee.  Will tell or show you how to make it sometime.  It can be made a week ahead of time if you want to.

I want to make the couch cover next week and except for painting that will be the last big job.  Then maybe I can have some evenings to myself for a change.

Your letter is in Bobby's room so I don't know if you asked questions or not.  We are all fine and hope you are."

              Lots of love,

                   B, Bonnie & Bobby

The church today
NOTE from Ann:  Illinois 20, Mizzou 27.  Go Tigers!

Quick Date Roll

Cook 8-10 minutes on a slow fire (low heat, I assume!);  1 cup dates, 1 cup sugar, 2 T butter and 2 eggs.  Add 3 cups crushed rice cereal (like Rice Crispies or Rice Chex) and 1/2 c. chopped nuts.  When cooled, shape into a roll and cover in powdered sugar or toasted coconut.  Cut into slices and serve with whipped cream.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!