Thursday, July 12, 2012

November 3, 1949 The China Report, The Chrystal, The Hint, Cracking Nuts and Fruit Jewel Cookies



Dear Mother & Daddy,

Haviland Varenne
"It is early to write but Bobby and I went to see about the china this morning and thought I'd write while it was all fresh in my mind.  The pattern with the gold on the edge of the cup is Varenne.  It really is awfully pretty and I think you'd be happy with it.  The woman said if you want your set before Christmas you had better get it now.  They are on quotas and she said they were selling lots of china this time of the year.  She has enough place settings for you but not all the extra pieces or the salad plates.  Those she would save for you as they came in and you'd probably have your set by Xmas.  The place setting would be plate, cup, saucer & bread & butter plate.  She has 3 gravy boats now and won't have more any time soon.  I can't tell you how much the whole set would cost because she didn't have all the prices and I couldn't remember just what you wanted.  The 4 piece place settings were $7.55 (90.60) and the salads are 24.60 a dozen.   I didn't ask at the other store that had this pattern and it may be that they would have the whole set for you or that I could buy some from each place to make up the set.  The prices will be the same.  The Varenne pattern will make a very pretty table and the woman said it will be a pattern that will always be made for it is an old pattern that they have made for years.

Fostoria Holly
They can't do anything about my china so I'm going to write to Malley's in New Haven about it.  I have decided on a pattern in crystal but haven't bought any pieces yet.  It is Holly in Fostoria and is very expensive but the only pattern I like.  I have wanted it for years but felt like I had to stay with the pattern I had started.  Now that it isn't made anymore I'm going to start this.  If you want to buy me something real nice sometime you can buy me a piece of it.  The goblets and sherberts are $2 a piece and the relish dish is 4.00 or 4.50.  So you can see how high it is but it is very, very lovely.  I am going to get the short stemmed goblets, sherberts, salad plates, and extra pieces eventually, I hope.  I probably can't buy but one piece at a time at that rate. 

We entertained students one night this week and are having a party for Jim and Evelyn this Sat. night.  We're having 12 people just to talk and maybe listen to records.  Then we'll have sandwiches, potato chips, pickles & olives, cookies and coffee.  I'm going to make oatmeal cookies and a new fruit cookie recipe I haven't tried--kind of like fruitcake, I think.

I must stop and crack some nuts while Bobby sleeps." 

             Lots of love,

                   B, Bonnie & Bobby

Fruit Jewels

Mix together 1/2 c. shortening, 1/4 c. sugar, 1/2 c. honey and 1 egg.  Stir in 1-1/2 c. flour, 1/2 tsp. soda, 1/4 tsp. salt and 2 tsp. coriander.  Mix well.  Stir in 2-1/2 c. mixed candied fruit and 2 c. nuts.  Drop by tsp. 1" apart on greased cookie sheet.  Bake 12-15 min. at 325.  Flavor may be varied by adding 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. mace, 1 tsp. nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. ginger and 1/4 tsp. allspice and using molasses in place of honey.  This makes a very spicy cookie.  

For oatmeal cookie recipes, use the search box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!