Saturday, July 14, 2012

December 4, 1949 Boiling It Down, Zipping It Up, The Gravy Boat and Mrs. Peterson's Vinarterta

McCalls, December issue, 1949 (the "cover girls" include Eleanor Roosevelt)

 Dear Mother, Daddy & Grandma, 

"My letter will probably be short for Bobby doesn't seem to be going to sleep and will soon want up.  We went downtown on the bus this morning and I thought he'd fall asleep as soon as he got in bed because he walked so much.  We did a little Xmas shopping but it is hard to do when I have to hang onto him.  B is gone to school to some kind of all-day group--keeps records of all that's said and then boils it all down into a 3 min. report to give before the whole group at the luncheon.

We are invited out to dinner before the party so Rosemary will stay with Bobby.  My dress is very pretty and I'm real pleased with it.  I really fitted it--two more pounds around the waist and it wouldn't zip, but that makes it look nice.

We have ordered Bobby a tricycle for Xmas.  He gets so excited over all the toy displays now.

I made the Xmas cake (Town's Best Cook) in the Dec. McCalls and it looks good but has to ripen so we haven't cut it--probably will tomorrow.  I have the makings of the fruit cake and will split it like I did last year when we get home.

Your china is safely packed away in the closet.  I had the store pack them for shipping--they will be safer that way and if anything should happen that we couldn't bring them then I could express them to you.  I do not intend to use them but think you should have the fun of unpacking them for the first time.  I had some money left.  Would you want to put some with it ($5.78) and get the gravy boat?  That's all it would take (that is tax and all) but do what you want to.  You can wait till I get home to give me the difference if you don't want to bother now.

We'll try to let you know our Xmas plans soon.  Hope you are all fine."

        Lots & lots of love to you all,

               B, Bonnie & Bobby

NOTE from Ann:  One of the fun family stories involving food was told by Bonnie after having taken fruitcake to her parents at Christmas time.  This is what she said:

Daddy would never touch a drop of alcohol and wouldn't have it in the house.  Of course I used  rum and brandy in my fruitcake, but would never mention it.  One of the first times I took it home everyone was offered some, and everyone said that they wanted only a tiny sliver since they were so full from dinner.  After finishing his piece, Daddy said, "That was the best stuff I've ever eaten.  I'll take another slice! And make it a big one this time!"  I never said a word about why it was so good although everyone else knew.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!