Tuesday, June 26, 2012

March 19, 1949 The New Shoes, The Old Tablecloth, The Circus, The Standstill and The Disappointment

Walking carefully in new shoes
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Yesterday was Bobby's birthday and it hardly seems possible that he could be fourteen months old.  We put his new shoes on him for the first time and he was so proud.  He loves his shoes and always has but I never saw him notice them so long.  He talked about them and looked and looked at them before he even took a stop in them.  Then he walked so carefully.  He has been waking between 5:30 and 6:00 every morning and wants to get up.  He won't stay in his crib and play nor stay in bed with us so we have to get up.  There isn't much I can do that early in the morning so I crochet while he plays.  As a result, the tablecloth is almost done--just three blocks and the edge.  I add one block most every day.  It will soon be done and the blocking will be the big job.  There are curtain stretchers here so I'll use those.

I haven't accomplished much this week.  Monday night I went to the Ladies Aid of the Christian Church.  It was being held at the home of one of my friends (a faculty wife) and she invited me.  It was just like any Ladies Aid and I enjoyed meeting new people.  I think I told you we were going to a dinner at school Wed. night and one tonight.  Last night we went to the circus at school.  The students (physical ed. students) are really good and three of them are professional performers.  Two are girls that travel with station WSM shows and the boy works with Cole Bros. circus in the summer.  There is a winter colony of circus people here every year.  They live in trailers in a camp.  The college circus is a yearly affair and several students have developed into big show performers after their start in the school circus.

My sewing is at a standstill since I haven't been home much this week.  The jacket is almost ready for the lining and I have it and the skirt cut out.

Of course, we were disappointed about the house but have a lead on a first floor flat which would be better than the house since it would be on one floor.  We haven't seen the flat but the house looks nice from the outside.  It seems like things have always turned out right in the end for us so we may be glad we didn't get the house.  There is still lots of time and we don't want to have to pay rent on two places any longer than is necessary.

Have you heard from Buddy lately?  B's dad is planning to go to Barnes for treatment and B might go down to see him if he's there over a week-end.  I don't know whether I'd go or not but if Buddy was better and things were going well I might.

Bobby still eats at his own table and eats everything.  He loves to sit in the kitchen chairs but is so wiggly that he can't be left in one.  He can't get in one alone but is gradually learning to climb into the different chairs.  He is so tall you won't know him.

You are really having the winter.  It's cold but sunny here with a few snow flakes every few days which don't last.  Both of you be careful on the ice.  So many have been hurt this winter.

Don't wear yourself out, Mother.  I know you have to work at Aunt Cliffie's but rest when you get home even if you have to let your work go."

             Lots of love,

                   B, Bonnie & Bobby

NOTE from Ann:  Attending the Gamma Phi Circus was an annual family affair growing up and we loved it...until one year a clown climbed onto the bleachers and cut off the necktie of the man sitting next to me!  It scared me to death and for the remainder of my childhood, I never felt the same way about the circus, or clowns.  Fortunately, the athletes were always fabulous.

Page from The Index, ISNU Yearbook, 1949

NOTE from Ann:  For a look at what's in the news (NBC broadcast) for March 17, 1949, use this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjW-_q1EeMo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!