Friday, June 22, 2012

January 29, 1949 The Heavy Ice, The Big Sales, The Thick 'n Thin and The Need to Entertain




Dear Mother & Daddy,

"You must really be having terrible weather.  We have had a tiny bit of snow and enough ice that some country schools have been closed and buses don't always run but it hasn't seemed bad to us.  Maybe it doesn't seem bad to us because of the awful winters we are used to.  The ice did get so heavy on the trees and wires that we expected the lights to go out one night but it started pouring rain and that took it off.

Yesterday was a big sales day downtown so B went down in the morning and found a pair of pants.  I went in the afternoon and found a tan blouse and a rose colored dress.  The dress has to have work done on it before I can wear it though.  The waist is long and the hem has to be evened.  I made a yellow blouse this week to wear with my brown skirt but am a little disappointed in it.  The material is too heavy for the pattern I used--gathered high neck and long full sleeves.  Maybe it will soften after it is washed.  It is "thick 'n thin"--much like shantung but stiffer.

The little suit that Beulah sent Bobby for his birthday is so cute and fits perfectly.  He looked so sweet that we took color pictures of him in it.  It is dirty now and ready to be washed.

A Baby-Tenda, available on ebay
This was exam week and has been a busy one.  The students came two nights and I worked on my blouse the other evenings.  B has worked on grades most of the time and has written one article for a school magazine today.  Bobby has been so good although he was up at 6:15 this morning and had only a short nap this afternoon.  He stayed in the Baby-Tenda while I did most of the laundry.

I'll be so glad when Bobby gets all his teeth.  He has another upper one and the Dr. says he is cutting the eye and stomach teeth.  They bother him so very little but make him wakeful sometimes.   I guess that is what makes him wake in the middle of the night.  The doctor said he was developing as perfectly as we could make him and that he seems to be in perfect health.  He didn't vaccinate him because he said there was too much danger of sore throats, colds, etc. now.  He will do it in the spring.  Our doctor is not Toni's doctor although they are in the same office.  Bobby weighs 25 lbs. 6 oz. and is 30-1/2 in. tall.


No, we don't know any more about the house.  The people aren't going for at least three months so there is still a chance.  We heard about another house owned by the same man but when I saw the outside of it I didn't want it.  It needed repair badly.

We are going to Watterson's for dinner tonight.  It's to be a big party--14.  I guess I enjoy the dinner parties here as well as in Conn. only they are usually so big.  I'm going to have to start having some.  We owe 22 people now. 

Yes, we have heard from Eleanor Rollins but her arthritis is no better.  She has been going to a Dr. in New York but he doesn't help her any.

I hope you and Daddy are all right.  Be careful on the ice."

            Lots of love,

                 B, Bonnie & Bobby

2 comments:

  1. "We owe 22 people now." The horror! That would have to be a pretty big party at their little place! They had quite the social life, and she keeps so busy, and yet she frequently writes that "there is just no news." I get tired just reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom loved to entertain, but loved it more when the event was over I think:-)

    Thanks for writing, Lynne!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!