Monday, May 28, 2012

March 13, 1948 The Governor Died, The Schedule Changed, The Letter from Grandma and Another Snow Storm


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Saturday again!  The days go by so fast now that I can't keep up.  It doesn't seem like Sat. for B has to go to the school.  This was exam week and everything was scheduled.  The governor died and they closed every public building on Wed. so that threw the exam schedule off and some have to be given today.  B has been knee deep in papers to grade.  We haven't heard anymore from the job.  No telling when we will know.

The doctor says Bobby is fine.  He has averaged a 1/2 lb. gain per week.  Dr. Bernstein opened his mouth to look down his throat.  When he put a tongue depressor on Bobby's tongue Bobby giggled.  We were all so surprised.  The doc laughed too.  I guess he expected him to yell.  We haven't weighed Bobby today but he'll probably weigh about 11-1/2. 

B has next week off.  It is between terms at the college.  I want to get a permanent while he's home.  I think I'll have my hair cut real short.  I've been trying to get a dress made.  It's the bright red wool jersey.  I can't get much done at a time. 

Aggie and I went to the Faculty Wives Club on Thurs.   Alice kept the kids.  We wanted to go to the Feb. meeting which was a big Valentines tea but Alice had broken her arm and couldn't work.  She fell on the ice sometime ago but she is back at work now.

Do you like your new furniture?  How big is your dining room set?  Did you get a china cabinet?  Several N.Y. stores are advertising Haviland china once in awhile.  It's still scarce though and the patterns seem to be pretty fancy.

I got a 6 page letter from Grandma this week.  I always enjoy her letters for she tells me about everyone in the country.  I had one from Beulah too.

Did you get the paper?  The garden section is a special feature of the N.Y. Times once a year and I thought there might be something in it that you'd enjoy especially since you'll be setting out new plants.

We're had another snow storm and you probably have too according to the radio.  We're really going to be glad to see spring if it ever comes."

                Lots of love,

                       B, Bonnie & Baby

NOTE from Ann:  For a brief biography of the Governor of Connecticut, James McConaughy:
http://www.cslib.org/archives/finding_aids/rg005_030.html

In the world news, Truman is still dealing with issues related to the partitioning of Palestine and of the increasingly bad relationship with Russia.  He and Eleanor Roosevelt were engaged in active communications about the world situation.  For an excellent chronology of the communications and to read the letters:  http://www.trumanlibrary.org/eleanor/eleanordoctemplate.php?pagenumber=1&documentid=hst19480313


The image at the top is Norman Rockwell's well-known "Weighing Baby", image courtesy of www.normanrockwellvt.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!