Friday, April 27, 2012

November 27, 1946 B & Bonnie Are Getting Cleaner, The Tests, The Awful Coal Strike and Pumpkin Pies


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Wednesday again!  The days roll by so fast I can't keep up.  This is such a beautiful day and is so warm.  I just hope it stays this way but of course it can't.

I just got my wash out and had a good sized one.  We get lots more things dirty since I started washing or it may be that we're getting cleaner.  Ha!


Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and we have so many, many things to be thankful for.  We are going to McLeod's (where we had the room if you don't remember) for a turkey dinner and I'm going to make some pumpkin pies to take.  I wish I had some of your cream to whip.  B's Thanksgiving vacation starts at 1:00 today and lasts till Monday.  He has worked real hard all week so he could have a real vacation without having a lot of school work to do.

Final exams are to be given next week and B worked all last week-end on his tests.  We didn't even go to church.  He had to make out three but they were some tests.  He spends lots of time on his school work but it's because he wants to.  He loves his work and Hopkins can't compare with the college.  Everyone seems to like him and his work too.  He had not expected to have to go to Middletown next term but the people there asked if he wouldn't come back.

I sent Beulah the material and hope she likes it.  There weren't any patterns suitable for Charlotte in the wash crepe so I got taffeta and it is washable.  I would like to have made Charlotte's but I didn't see how I could get it done before Christmas.



I have brown wool to make me a dress when I can get to it.  The machine is wonderful.  I use it for something almost everyday and am going to hate being without it.  I have just about finished all the big sewing projects I had planned.  There is a curtain to make for the hall and I want to do some re-hemming on those white sheer curtains you sent.  My bed is all finished and looks real pretty.

I haven't done any Christmas shopping yet so I don't know how much the stores have to sell.  When we were in Hartford last the toylands were open but we didn't go to any of them.  Our Christmas shopping is going to be pretty scant this year if we come home but I think that will be all right with everyone.  Christmas vacation begins on Friday before Christmas.  B will have a class till 2:30 so we'll probably start home early Saturday morning.  It gets dark about 4:00 so we couldn't get very far if we started Fri. afternoon.

Yes, I think the coal strike is awful and John L. Lewis should be settled good and proper.  Editorials and commentators here seem to think he has done more damage than good to the miners.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1RhNTv1--Q

It's about time for B to come so I'd better stop and get some lunch.

How are you both?  I know you're tired but try to take it slow and don't make yourself sick."

                  Lots of love,

                          B & Bonnie

 Easiest Pumpkin Pie

Mix together 2 eggs, 1 c. sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. ginger (more or less to taste), 1/2 tsp. nutmeg (more or less to taste) and 2 tsp. cinnamon.  Stir in 1 16 oz. can pumpkin and 1 12. oz. can evaporated milk.  Pour into shell, bake @ 425 for 15 min. then lower heat to 350.  Bake 45 min. more.

Southern Pumpkin Pudding Pie w/ Peanut Glaze

Cook till it thickens and bubbles, stirring constantly; 1/4 c. cornstarch, 3/4 c. sugar, 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 tsp. salt, 13 oz. can evaporated milk and 16 oz. can pumpkin.  Beat 3 eggs in med. bowl.  Add some hot pumpkin and then gradually mix with rest of pumpkin mix.  Cook over low heat, stir constantly, 2 min. until thick.  Pour in baked shell, cool, then glaze with following:  In a small heavy pan mix, stirring constantly and cook till mix melts and bubbles for a minute--3 T brown sugar, 2 T oleo and 1 T milk.  Stir in 1/2 c. chopped peanuts.  Spoon on pie at once.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!