Saturday, April 28, 2012

December 5, 1946 The Grand Weather, The Christmas Instructions, The Swell Ice Cream and Bossy Bonnie

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I had forgotten this was Wednesday so this letter will probably be late because B has been gone a long time.  We're all mixed up on the days because of registration at school and the different daily schedules.  We're having grand weather after an awful Monday.  It was blue cold and the wind was terrible.  It didn't let up all day long.

Yesterday I went to town as B went to school and spent the day with Mrs. McLeod.  I made a cover for a window-seat cushion for her.  They were out here Sunday afternoon for a while.

Just imagine three weeks from today is Christmas.  I wanted to get my afghan done so you could see it but I doubt if I get it finished.  I had to order more yarn and it hasn't come yet.  I'm wondering if they can even match it.

I hope you will soon be moved and comfortable again.  I certainly can sympathize with you about being torn up--it's no fun.  No, I won't regret that you sold the place.  Daddy will feel much better when he gets out of the store and I know that would have been impossible with that little bit of ground.  I will be glad when you buy a place though.  Rent receipts aren't much good.

We can eat off the breakfast table when we're home and don't you dare move that big old dining room set.  Call Irene and have her come after it.  Moving is too hard to move something like that.

Please don't make a lot of big plans for us.  Let's not have any big dinners this time--I mean with all of both families.  I'd rather have a day with you and Beulah's family and then another at B's.  Mabel wrote that she was asking you and Daddy to have dinner at her house Christmas day.  How did that suit you?  I don't want anybody to work and worry at all while we're home.  I know you'll be tired anyway and I don't want you to do a lot of extra work.  Let's just have fun.

Suit yourself about the turkey but a big fat hen will be just as good and easier to fix.

Our refrigerator is a General Electric.  It makes swell ice cream.

Yes, you sent money for postage for the dress material.  You don't owe me a cent.

How is your coal supply?  I'm so glad we burn oil.  That strike has certainly made a mess of things.

I don't know whether I'll get to write to Beulah before we come home or not but you can tell her that the knitting is to be Jerry's Christmas present so stop worrying about the yarn.

There just isn't any news so bye for now.  I hope this letter doesn't sound bossy but I don't want anyone sick this time.  Write soon."

             Lots and lots of love,

                      B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  President Truman issued the executive order on Dec. 5, 1946 to establish a commission on civil rights.  Use the link below for the complete order.
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=60711#axzz1tIkay4Vg

And for an interesting summary of Truman's perspective on his presidential responsibilities regarding civil rights: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/highwayhistory/road/s20.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!