Wednesday, April 11, 2012

March 2, 1946 The First Draft, The Shared House and The Nice Birthday


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It was so nice to have two letters this week.  Your first one came Thursday and the other one came today.  The package hasn't come yet but the post office has been notified that we have moved so it will come here.

Your Thursday letter certainly gave my morale a boost.  I was cleaning house and in a bad mood but felt better after I read it.

We finished the dissertation last Sunday night and B handed it in Monday.  I thought I'd write a card and tell you it was finished but decided you'd think I was crazy.  We won't know whether it is all right for sometime--probably after the 15th because some of the teachers are out of town and they all have to read it.  We finished it sooner than we expected but almost worked ourselves to death doing it.  We didn't do anything else hardly.

We moved all week after school and are all straightened up now.  Lots of our things--dishes, etc. are going to stay packed so we won't have to do it all over again next summer.  Of course, Dorothy (the girl here) has dishes and everything so we just use them.  The house is very comfortable.  There are two bed-rooms, a living room, kitchen, bath and a study besides the basement.  We share all expenses three ways so it is going to be a way to save.  Our rent (our part) with gas and electricity is only about $30.  The house has a nice yard and is the last house in the project.   It is way up on the side of a hill overlooking the whole project.  Behind us is a big wooded hill.  It will be real nice in the summer.

I had a nice birthday in spite of all the work.  I had gotten to the point where I could rest so I didn't do any work in the afternoon and am rested now.  We are both fine and not tired.  B gave me a bottle of lovely perfume and a box of candy.  I had real nice letters from Mabel and B's mother and her package is on the way too so I'll have a birthday all over when they come.

We haven't thought much about the reclassification of 4Fs but if they aren't too fast about it B will be 26 and then he'll be too old for them to take.  At least the first draft and the biggest part of the dissertation is done and that is what is important right now.

Have you tried to crochet your rugs?  I don't think you ought to for it's pretty hard work.  I want to learn to knit but I don't know whether I'll ever get around to it or not.  I haven't had any time for ages to work on my afghan.

I have run out of anything to say so I guess I'll stop.  Did you get to Springfield or did your chickens come?

Come over and see us.  Oh how I wish you could.  Thanks for the birthday present even if it hasn't come and the letters were certainly welcome."

                      Lots & lots of love,

                                B & Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!