Saturday, April 21, 2012

July 27, 1946 The Vegetable Crops, The Term Papers and Book Reports, The California Job and "Anna and the King of Siam"



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"You should come to New Haven for awhile if it's so hot at home.  We are having just wonderful weather.  We had quite a lot of rain just in time to save the vegetable crops.

I got the August Ladies Home Journal yesterday.  I guess my card didn't get to them in time to change the address but I never did get the July one.  I'll bring it when we come home.

I have been studying all day.  The days go by so fast that I want to get as much work done as I can before the last week.  Term papers and book reports always bother me till they're finished.  Summer school work is so much easier than the regular semesters.  Most of the students are teachers who teach all winter and are working for a degree.

Dr. Hill had a letter last Monday about the Calif. job.  The man had sent some blanks to be filled out and was wondering why B hadn't returned them.  They must have got lost in the mail for we never got them.  He sent some more so now we have to wait till they go to Calif. to the college president before we know anything.  We may have to delay starting home for a few days till we hear one way or another for it would be foolish to come to Mo. and have to come back here for our stuff.  We were anxious to hear what all of you thought of our going to Calif. if we could get the job.  We have friends here who came from that college to Yale and they think it's wonderful.

We had such a good time in New York.  Some of the stores were open and we shopped around for any bargains we might find.  I bought a white slip and that was all.  We asked about a sewing machine for you but the girl said it would be about five months before I could possibly get one.  We went to the Museum of Natural History and then to a show--"Anna and the King of Siam"--maybe you read the book.

How does Beulah feel and how does she look?  What do they call the baby?

I don't suppose we'll get a catalog.  We haven't ordered anything in so long.  What are all those things you say you need?

Send us over a pan of those rolls.  It just makes me drool to think of it.   Do you have lots of milk and cream?  I gave .33 for 1/2 pt. of cream the other day and then it was too thin to whip.  Meat is back in the stores now.  I get mad every time I go to shop--.66 for bacon, .69 for round steak, .49 for hamburger and those prices are called cheap.  I was going to buy a little can of shrimp like we used to get and they wanted .99 for it.  I didn't buy it.

Wouldn't it be nice if Buddy and Bessie could go see Francis Jr.?  We hope to see them when we come home.

Well, be good and don't melt away before we get there."

                    Lots of love,

                            B & Bonnie

NOTES from Ann:  For the New York Times 1946 review of "Anna and the King of Siam": 
http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9807E7D91538E532A25752C2A9609C946793D6CF
and for a look at a scene:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!