Sunday, April 22, 2012

August 3, 1946 The Hectic, Exciting Week, The Job Offers, Big Decisions and Visiting Home



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"This has been a hectic but exciting week.  The offers of jobs have been pouring in and we've spent a lot of our time hunting places on maps and talking about the places.  B had a letter about the Calif. job and after the different delays the man told him not to depend too much on it.


However, Dr. Hill had a telegram this morning saying that B's appointment would probably go through.  This doesn't mean that he has decided to take this job because some of the others are good too.  Yes, we could come home once a year.  I don't want to ever be so far away that I couldn't do that.  California appeals to us a lot--its climate and being across the country--but the job doesn't sound as good to B as one we went to see about this morning at New Britain, Conn. just about 35 miles from New Haven.  B seems to prefer this one above all the other offers he's had.

The other jobs are in N.Y. state and we're going to Albany on Tuesday and N.Y. City Thurs. to see about them.  It's quite a job to decide which we'd like especially since we may spend the rest of our lives there. We hope that by next Thursday everything will be settled.  Then we should be able to start home the first of the week or sooner if we could.  This is probably the last letter I'll write and you don't write anymore--not even answer this unless there's something you want.  We might be gone before it got here.

I haven't heard a word about the sewing machine but I'm going down and ask again.  I guess I'm not going to get one now.

I can count my school days on one hand now and they are actually only 1/2 days.  B is having his interviews in N.Y. in the afternoon so I can go with him.

I had a nice letter from Beulah and was so glad to get it.

Well, we'll be seeing you before long.  If we decide definitely when we're starting home and there is time I'll write you a card."

                      Lots of love,

                              B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  B and Bonnie spent August in Missouri visiting family and B accepted a job at Teachers College of Connecticut in New Britain.   On returning to Connecticut there was no housing to be found except for a single room.  They moved into that room.  The next letter will be Sept. 17, 1946.

And clippings from Time magazine this week:





No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!