Monday, April 30, 2012

January 22, 1947 Painting, Purchasing and Planning, Getting Called On and The Afghan is Finished


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Well, I had two letters from you since I wrote last.  B brought the first one after I had written to you.  The other one came at the usual time.


Last week I painted the bedroom and it really looks pretty.  That was such a nice shade of green.  I know now why Mr. Bowman liked that kind better than Kem-Tone.  You get more for your money.  I had half a dishpan when I mixed it and still have almost a full gallon left.  I am thinking of painting the hall now.  I got some green throw rugs and with the chintz the bedroom is all dressed up.  Saturday we bought a chest of drawers at a second hand store.  I had planned to paint it but it looks pretty good the way it is so I don't know whether I will or not.  It is mahogany finish and has a good mirror.  We bought it in Hartford and while we were there I looked for your dishes.  They had only three patterns--all very flowery and none I would want.  Service for 12 in one of the patterns was $163.   The woman didn't know if they would have other patterns or if any others were available.  I think it would be wise to wait a while.

We took Daddy's pen back and they gave us a new one which writes fine.  We'll send it in a day or so.

Yesterday and today I've been painting the pantry.  It looks like a different place.

It simply poured rain yesterday so the biggest part of the snow is gone.  The radio says it's pretty cold there and is going to get cold here too.  It has been pretty warm the last few days.

We went back to look at the $75. desk I told you about.  The floor sample had some water marks on it which the man claimed would rub down and he offered it to us for $65.  We finally decided to buy it after he said he would have it polished and if we didn't like it after it was delivered they would take it back and bring a perfect one.  It was to come today but hasn't yet and it's almost 4:00 now.  We feel we're getting our money's worth even if we get the $75. one.  It is solid mahogany--no veneer even on the sides or back.  It is quite fancy but a nice piece of furniture and we couldn't find a plain one that didn't look cheap.

I'm glad you're using the machine.  When you get used to it you'll use it for everything.

B got my white lamp wired but we haven't found a shade to fit it yet.

This has been the queerest day.  It has looked stormy and yet the sun has been out and the sky is blue as can be.

We have been planning to have a buffet supper for the professors and wives of the education department next Sunday evening but I haven't called anyone yet so we may have to plan for another day.  There would be nine of us and we are going to bake the ham.

The president's wife and two faculty wives called on me Thursday afternoon.  They didn't stay long but I enjoyed their visit.

The afghan is all done and I've been enjoying it. 

Tell Beulah she owes me a letter because I visited her last.

              Lots of love,

                      B & Bonnie

How about the lot next to Dick Teeple?
B just brought your letter and I'm certainly relieved that you've found a lot."


NOTE from Ann:  The afghan is pictured on a chair which belonged to Horace and Mabel.  There are slight variations in the brown yarn, as Bonnie mentioned after having run out of the original color.  The flower and vine pattern is cross-stitched over the crocheted part.  I can only imagine how long the fringe must have taken for the width of the afghan is 5 feet with 6 knots of fringe per inch.

1 comment:

  1. What a treasure you have in this wonderful afghan. I agree, the fringe must have taken her an age and a half. It was worth it though, she clearly created a beautiful heirloom that is still be enjoyed to this.

    Thank you very much for your lovely comment on my latest Saturday Snapshots post, dear Ann. I share your desire to save seemingly everyday images for future generations to enjoy and learn from every bit as much as those from big events and holidays. After all, it's the seemingly ordinarily moments that make up the bulk of most our daily lives.


    Wishing you a deeply beautiful, sunshine filled month of May,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!