Monday, April 30, 2012

January 15, 1947 The Half-Mile Coast, Lovely in the Bolt, Fussy, Messy and Out of Proportion and Knitting for Bea



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"The kids are having a wonderful time today.  The streets are so slick that there isn't any school across the road so they all have their sleds out.  They can coast about a half mile without stopping on the street in front of our house.  Yesterday was a grand day but it started raining and freezing in the night.  Everything is like glass.  B put the chains on before he left this morning and didn't seem to be having any trouble.

I thought sure I would have a letter from you Saturday but I guess you were waiting to hear from me.

I have looked twice for your wool and found some gray I thought would be nice with silver buttons.  if you like this sample I'll get some.  There just isn't any blue that you would have.  This is all wool and is lovely in the bolt.  The sample doesn't show the weave at all.  It is $2.98 a yard.  Don't take too long to decide for it's a new bolt and won't last long since it's a spring woolen.  Have you tried the machine?

I also inquired at a store in New Britain about your china.  They have only one pattern and you wouldn't like that--too fussy (the pattern I mean-ha!).  It had a lot of flowers on it.  We hope to go to Hartford before long and I'll see what they have there.

I haven't done my painting yet but hope to begin this week.  It is such a messy job I dread to start.

My afghan is almost done.  It is all sewed together and i blocked it this morning while I was ironing.  Just a few more bits of fringe and it is all done.  It is beautiful but a little wider than yours but not as long so it is a little out of proportion.

My next project will be the little sweater for Bea Sullivan.  I told you they were having a baby in the spring, didn't I?  Of course, I always have my crocheted table cloth to work on.  That will always be with me, I guess.

We are going to start looking again for a desk.  The stores advertise January clearance sales but nothing seems to really be on sale except stuff one wouldn't have.

I have some ice cream in the refrigerator and I guess I'd better take care of it.  I put peppermint flavoring in it and colored it green so I'm wondering how it will come out.

Write us all the news."

                    Lots of love,

                            B & Bonnie



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!