Friday, April 6, 2012

December 22, 1945 Snowed In, The Beautiful Nylons and The New Tires

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We have had three mail deliveries today and each time I keep hoping your letter will come but it hasn't.  Maybe it will come tomorrow because there will be a delivery.

New Haven is still digging out of the snow.  We had a terrific storm this week and I don't believe I ever saw so much snow.  B sure got his fill of shoveling snow.  Our sidewalk had to be shoveled four times in less than 24 hours.  Schools were dismissed at noon Wednesday so the kids could get home.  The Dames Christmas party was that night but we couldn't get the car out of the garage and I certainly wasn't going on the bus so I stayed at home.  We are really having a white Christmas this year and it's plenty cold too.  B took a few pictures of the snow.  If they are any good when he gets them developed we'll send you some.

We bought two new tires this morning.  We have had the certificate for quite a little while but when we heard that rationing was going to be lifted we thought we'd better get them now.  There will be a mad scramble for them in Jan. and the dealers won't have very many.  We now have four new tires so we're really fixed for a while.

The father of one of B's pupils is secretary to a lingerie company here in New Haven and he sent me two pairs of the most beautiful nylons you ever saw.  One pair would have been an awfully nice gift but two pairs will last me for a year.  I was certainly thrilled.  You still can't buy them in New Haven.  I sent my name into one of the stores a long time ago so I would be on the priority list but I've never heard from them and probably won't.

I've really made things fly today.  I cleaned this morning and washed this afternoon.  B rinsed the clothes for me but I still have to hang them out.

Your package came this week but we are saving it till Xmas.  We have a real pretty tree in the living room and have received loads of cards.  We plan to have Christmas dinner by ourselves at home.  It will seem a little funny.  We have always either been invited out or had company.

We hope you have a real nice Christmas.  We'll be thinking of you."

                                    Lots of love,

                                            B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:   It's Bing Crosby at the top of the charts again, both in '45 and '46 with "White Christmas".     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHGYExFzNyg

By Stevan Dohanos, a cover artist for the Saturday Evening Post.  This was a double fold-out in Esquire Magazine, Dec., 1945 (Image courtesy of www.dartblog.com)

2 comments:

  1. Every year the Friday after Thanksgiving, Grandmommy and Granddaddy would come over for decorating the tree. We always played Bing Crosby's "White Christmas". In fact, I still do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was sure one of their all-time favorites!

      Delete

I welcome your comments!